Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Another Picture of Bigfoot

This morning, Smokie was out on the porch, freaking out more than normal.
She tends to bark in the early dawn hours at just about anything that moves.
She was facing my neighbor's house, so I was sure she was barking at deer. Upon closer inspection, I noticed she was looking up.

Through the fog, I saw what all the fuss was about. Not one Great Horned owl, but two!
They were sitting on my neighbor's roof like two gargoyles--one on either end.
I rushed inside to get my camera. I knew I'd just be taking a picture of a shadow. It was only 7am and it was foggy. Still, I had to try. No pesky branches to get in the way of my shot.

Of course, by the time I got the camera to focus in the dark, one owl had lifted off.
Too much commotion, I guess.
This one stayed for a couple shots and then was off as well.
Despite not getting pictures, I am thrilled. I saw two!
The last time I saw one, it was calling, but got no reply (that I could hear).
I'm hoping there is a nest nearby.

4 comments:

  1. Sooo very cool! I cannot believe you got a pic of one of the owls! He is beautiful!!!

    We have a great horned owl who lives near my driveway. Often I see him on my way to/from work if the sun is just rising or setting. He is huge. Sometimes I can hear him when I'm outside. I haven't been able to get a pic, he's always flying when I see him, or just stopped flying and preparing to fly again. We used to have a barred owl at our previous house; he was very tame, always sat up in a tree near the house & let us talk to him. We named him Mr. Who. The great horned owl at this house we named Mr. Who2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is so awesome! And the photo has a spooky haunted quality to it.

    This reminded me of one morning after a few months of moving here. I looked out from my bedroom balcony and saw an owl on my neighbor's roof. Yay! right?

    I stared at it for a very long time and it didn't move....and then late morning came...and it was still in the same position.

    Later on I walked down the road towards my neighbor's house and that darn owl was still up there on his roof.

    And I could see that it was an owl....a plastic owl.

    To scare away the birds from pooping on his roof.

    lol!


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. How totally cool is that? Look at those eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss this post??? I love that picture - it's so spooky looking. And his eyes are glowing! Now you have TWO owls in your neighborhood - that's exciting! And I really laughed out loud at Lisa's story of the plastic owl - very funny!

    ReplyDelete