Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Picture of Bigfoot

I've figured out what went wrong with the famous picture of Bigfoot.
It was the automatic focus feature on the man's camera. Plus, the lighting wasn't all that hot.
The camera I was using for this shot, insisted on focusing on the branches just in front of my subject.

This morning I went out to feed my chickens and local wildlife/birds. In the seconds between dogs screeching at the deer, I heard a soft "Whoo Whoo". I talked the dogs into going indoors and grabbed Lee's camera. There was just enough light in the sky to locate the owner of the "Whoo".

We have a pair of Great Horned owls in our area. We often hear them, but rarely see them. Despite my presence and the idiot noises coming from my dogs, this owl stayed put. As he/she called out, I listened for the other owl's reply. I never heard one. I'm wondering if that's why the owl stayed put, despite all that was going on.
As the light grew, the daytime birds began to harass this amazing creature of the night, and sent it on its way.

It's funny what makes me happy and excites me. I've seen owls in cages a million times, but having one (or two) living wild so nearby, makes me smile. It's rather magical.


4 comments:

  1. Cool! I'd love to get a picture of an owl in the wild.

    And yeah, my camera is prone to doing the same thing. It's very annoying. I thought I was going to love this camera, but it's the worst camera I've ever had. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol!

    Cool photo! ANd lucky you having great horned owls in your neighborhood.

    My kidlets and I had the exciting treat of getting within 20 feet of one last summer. I took some great photos at dusk and posted them for the Halloween Sunday Stills.

    Years ago, my hubby and I were going camping and got in late at the campground. We were pulled up the big sign reading the campground map with a flashlight, when all of a sudden a great horned owl flew onto the top of the sign, less than 5 feet away!

    What a thrill. I was afraid to breathe. lol!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post CeeCee. I love owls and have never been fortunate to see them in the wild, let alone have the opportunity to get a picture of one. Reading your post made me smile too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Lucky you! I don't think I've ever seen an owl outside of captivity either. We hear them here, but can never see them. I love that picture!

    ReplyDelete