Saturday, January 2, 2010

Up and Running



The title is two-fold.

One, my ability to post pictures to my blog is back!
It was taken care of by my own personal computer guru, Lee.
Thanks honey! Thanks tons and bunches and lots. :)
I know iMac makes you crazy.

Two, Lee is 'up and running'. Really, he's more up and walking, than running. All in good time.
Several blogging friends have asked for an update on Lee's progress.
The last time I blogged about it was on November 15th. We'd been home less than 24 hours. He broke his hip on November 10th. This coming Tuesday, it will have been 8 weeks since the break.
The first couple weeks at home were rough going for him. Lots of pain and a tough time getting around. He used a walker. The smallest things to do were the toughest--getting in an out of socks for instance. He spent a lot of time standing on his good leg. Sitting in the shower was just not something he wanted to do.

After a couple weeks, his orthopedists released him to do physical therapy. What he didn't know, was that Lee was already doing his own physical therapy by sticking to two out of town trips. One to Georgia the other to Florida. He got much flack from just about everyone he knows for making those trips. He just packed the essentials in his computer bag and got up on crutches. By his own admission, those trips were hard. There was one day when I couldn't get a hold of him and was positive that he'd re-injured himself and wasn't answering his phone until he knew the extent of the damage.
I was wrong. Thank goodness!

Now, eight weeks out, he is still recovering. He's walking without a crutch a little bit, but "waddling" as he calls it. We are amazed at how quickly the body loses muscle mass and the tendons and ligaments forget their jobs.
He's still doing things I think he shouldn't---mowing more of the pasture/sitting on the mower for 3 hours, but I'm not him. I can't judge what feels good and what doesn't. I also don't know what it's like to be very active and suddenly be out of commission for weeks on end. I know when I've had a cold or something, I find myself being 'sick and tired of being sick and tired'. That can't even begin to compare to his ordeal.

I'm proud of the way he's handled the whole thing. He has a been a great patient for me to care for. In fact, he was barely a patient at all. He could have wallowed in woe-is-me, but chose not to. Instead he seems to focus every day on getting one step closer to getting back to normal.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure it's slow going, but he really seems to be doing well! And YAY that you can now post pictures!!!

    I wish you, Lee, and your family a wonderful 2010 - full of love, happiness, health, and NO injuries!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update about both subjects :) Glad to hear Lee is doing so well. Sorry it happened in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your feeling better Lee! We've been thinking about you. Oh and if you don't need your "nurse" send her our way, we'd like to see her!

    ReplyDelete