Friday, January 15, 2010

Bacon Grease Trumps Terror

A couple weeks ago, I pointed out that our dog, Smokie, is a fine pre-washer of dishes. Not only while the dishes are on the ground, but in the dishwasher as well.

Yesterday, while I was loading the dishwasher, Smokie was hard at work cleaning up the blue frying pan you see in the picture. It had the faint remnants of bacon grease on it and she couldn't resist. She even went so far as to climb up on the edge of the dishwasher door to get at the pan's innermost spots.
I needed to get at the top rack. As I slid it out, she backed up so she wouldn't get knocked in the noggin by the top rack. What she didn't expect, was that the bottom rack would come with her. I guess her dog tags got tangled up somehow in the rack. She pulled harder, out of fear, and the whole rack came crashing out. After a second, more terrified pull, she was free.

She raced upstairs and I didn't see her again for the rest of the day. After I stopped laughing hysterically, I worried if she'd ever come down again. Loud noises are not her thing. Most especially if they are attached to her!

She came down when James came home from school, and seemed to have recovered some from the trauma of the morning. At least she was downstairs.
I fully expected her to avoid the kitchen and the dishwasher like the plague.

Nope. After dinner, she was back at work, prewashing plates and pans.
I guess the lure of crumbs and bacon grease trump the feeling of terror.


6 comments:

  1. Ah....when the stomach calls....!!
    Poor Smokie...but dogs are so smart, maybe she just took the day upstairs to understand the situation and now she knows to "watch the tags"! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darby does this, too...or attempts to anyway. I normally shoo her out of kitchen.
    I bet that bacon grease is a hard to one to stay away from tho. That Smokie...she just needed a little after dinner snack. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bacon grease! YUM! I bet Smokie really felt like she scored finding that in a pan. But poor thing getting stuck in the bottom tray. Thank goodness the whole thing involved food bits and encouraged her to recover from the scare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too funny!! I can see why bacon grease would be a strong temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be like childbirth. It's no fun and can be scary and painful at times, but the rewards are well worth it. ;)


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete