Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It Can't Be...

...But it is. It's time to order graduation announcements.
What's more, it's time for me to realize that Tom is going to graduate.
I've added a countdown in the sidebar for him to look at longingly, as the winter days turn away and spring fever sets in.

So much will happen in the next few months.
I thought about it over Christmas. Tom will not be here next year for things like his little brother's birthday, or mine, or Pearl's. He won't be here for Halloween.
The Christmas tree will likely be up next year, before he finishes up his Fall semester at college. Depending on what university he goes to, he may already be back at school next year at this time.

I've heard from friends, that the first Christmas home is the hardest. The child has been away for several months, making their own decisions about everything. When to come in, when to wake up, when to eat, etc. Some kids expect that they'll be able to continue on that way when they come home. Tom, if you're reading this---just know that when you come home next Christmas, things will be just the way they are now (except for curfew). You'll still have to wake me up when you come in. You'll still have to let me know if you're spending the night at someone's house. You'll still have to throw napkins or grapes into your sister's drink at dinner.

Tom will be 18 in a couple weeks. I'll wait until then to wax on about how I can't believe that 18 years have passed.
There's so much to do before June 4th. Luckily, I have 142 days to make it happen.
Tom just has to keep his nose down and plow through the school work.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so exciting and scary to think of your child graduating! Right now it seems so far away, but I know it will be here in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.....and those 142 days will just zoom by. I still don't know what happened to 2009. I blinked and it was over. I'm glad, though.

    Lots of changes happening for you this year....


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how soon they grow up and all of a sudden out of school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It goes so fast and it's only been 5 months and 3 weeks for me! Before I know it, these days will be a distant memory and I'll be in your shoes. Enjoy Tom, I know he's joy to be around and a complete crack up! Soon enough he'll be in my shoes, graduated from college, working in his career, enjoying married life and a baby :)

    ReplyDelete