Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Color Purple


Oh my goodness, oh my goodness!

I was lucky enough to see this last night, thanks to the generous gift of my neighbor, Jay. His wife, Laurie, is one of my best friends. She and his mother got tickets as well. He decided that I needed a Christmas present for 'watching the house'. They are having extensive construction on their house (water damage, everywhere!--stucco gone terribly wrong), and have had to move to a rental. I can see part of the house and their lengthy driveway. I can tell if someone is coming or going if I'm in my office--which I am most days. The very few times I've called them to say that something was amiss, does not make me worthy of a theater ticket!

I went anyway.


This show just rocked the house! I smiled and laughed and cried. The beauty of the book and movie were captured without fault. The music, especially written for this show, was amazing. It was a 3 hour production with a 15 minute intermission. The time flew by!

The singing rivaled anything I have ever heard. Beautiful, strong voices. Gospel at its very, very best. Lots of Jazz and sass thrown in for good measure.


Jay, thank you from the bottom of my heart. It was wonderful and amazing and fabulous!
Thanks also, for getting tickets for Laurie and your mom. You have great women in your life and I love them to pieces.

PS....As much as I love watching your house, I hope you get to come home soon. I miss y'all!

1 comment: