Monday, August 24, 2009

Where Did the Summer Go?

Wasn't it just June 4th a few weeks ago?
Technically, it was 11 weeks and few days ago.
Our summer was filled with church camps, Sea World Camp, sports camps and our last minute trip to Washington D.C. Believe it or not, we aren't what would be considered a busy family in the summer. Some folks have camps for their kids every week of the summer. Each kid did two camps this year.
James, sporting a shorter head of hair and an inch or so over last years height. He is now a 5th grader and got lucky--he has his 3 best buddies in his class. His teacher rocks the house, or so I've been told. The thing that thrills me about her, is that she teaches the kids to study. She runs a tight ship, but the kids love her.
I don't know how it's possible, but Pearl is a Freshman. She's confident in her ability to make it a great school year. She's really missed being with her extended list of friends every day. She's a treasure. Someone I'd definitely want to be friends with if I were in school.
This goofy kid is my Senior this year. I asked Tom, "Please, please give me a big 'I'm a Senior' smile" This is what I got. Goofy is my favorite emotion of his lately. He seems to be finding his place on this planet and I'm proud of him.
I felt a little Boo-Hoo this morning after he and Pearl drove away to school. I can not believe that this is his last year at home. Very soon we'll be sending in college applications. In the next few weeks we'll be visiting the two colleges in Texas that he is interested in. He's already been to one out of state college a couple times.

So, another school year has begun. I'll pray for patience and open ears for me and Lee; and drive and happiness for the kids.


6 comments:

  1. I've been wondering the very same thing, and I don't even have school age kids any more! It's just that... well, pretty much like you said, wasn't it just the first of June, and now all of a sudden, it's almost the end of August! Yikes!!!

    And by the way... those are three VERY good looking kids. I'm sure they'll have a super year at school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the memories both as a parent and as a senior. I am sure it was just a few short years ago that I was beginning my senior....*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome! I think there does come a point where kids can finally see that they survived the awfulness that is junior high and early high school. So glad that Tom has done that and hope that Pearl looks to him as an example. We start on Wed...I already miss summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I imagining things or wasn't that really tall guy just the size of his head? And isn't that girl the one who did the "fly by naps". And isn't that handsome kid in the green the one who repeatedly said to aunt Jean throwing him high above her head in the pool, "do dat again? Ahhhh, I'm so old. I love those "babies" then, now and forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh for me the first to leave for college was the hardest. The fact that it was my only son maybe played a part as well but all I could do was just watch as my heart drove away to school. It does get better. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got some good looking kids! They all look so happy. I know you are proud - and you have every reason to be!

    ReplyDelete