Sunday, August 23, 2009

My Heart Hurts

There's not a picture to go with the sadness I feel.

I won't mention names for reasons of privacy.  Yesterday, through the speed of Facebook, we found out two kids in our small town killed themselves.  It was a murder/suicide really, but splitting hairs at this point is futile.

They were in a car accident last November.  He sustained a brain injury, she walked away.
He spent 8 months in a renowned treatment center in Houston, trying to get back to the way he used to be.  In June, they sent him home.  They'd done all they could.  He continued physical therapy, but it was clear he'd never be the same again.  Wheelchair bound and unable to care for himself.
His girlfriend, never wavered from being supportive.  She visited him as much as possible in Houston.  Once he came home, I'm assuming she spent as much time with him as possible.

Obviously, I have no idea what had been on their minds the last several months.  I do know that they are dead today.

He would have graduated last year.  She, this year.  My son, Tom, knew her.  He didn't really want to talk about it yesterday, but I told him that I'd be here if he wanted to talk.  

More than anything, I'm thinking about the kids parents.  The boy's father was died of an aortic aneurysm 2 years ago.  Now it is just his mom and his big sister to somehow carry on.  The girl, I don't know anything about her family, but wonder how you wake up the next day and carry on.


I don't have any wise words or deep thoughts about any of this.  I just know that I feel crushed for everyone involved.  I hope my kids understand that I always have ears open for anything that might be on their hearts or in their heads.  Nothing is too difficult that we can't get through it together.  

Please pray for the families and our community. 

5 comments:

  1. Such a terrible tragedy! I will be praying for their family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine the horror. I'm sorry for all who loved and cared about them. What a terrible thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's not much you can say to that except... I can't even imagine. What a sad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! What a sad tragedy. I'm so sorry you're heart is hurting, my friend.

    (((HUGS)))
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because I know the loss of a child I understand how horrible it is for families. But this is truly so sad and my heart goes out for the families. I will keep them in my prayers and thoughts. My sister lost her oldest son in a suicide at 18 and she has never recovered. She just can't. In many ways I was so blessed to have taken care of my daughter without all of the unanswered suicide questions. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete