Thursday, August 13, 2009

Insult to Injury


Just two posts ago, I was debating the entire garden idea.  I have had very little success here in Texas since arriving 20 years ago.

This week, I pulled up the rest of the plants and dug up my sweet potatoes.  Thankfully, they did well.  I got about 10 lbs.  The one spaghetti squash I got, turned out not to be ripe enough to eat.  It also had a very large larvae of some sort in the seedy part.  I was willing to overlook it, but the part we all eat wasn't ready.

While looking over the plants that I'd pulled up, I noticed something strange about the root systems on just about every plant.  Root Knot!  Caused by a nematode.  You can find the long version of what that is, here.  
What it means is probably the death of my vegetable gardening for at least a year.  Root knot nematode is nearly impossible to get rid of.  One of the ways to 'suppress' them is to kill your soil.  Cover all the beds with clear or black plastic and just bake it.  Everything dies---good and bad.  Ultimately, the nematodes come back.  They wander off and live in your yard until there is something yummy planted back in your garden.  

My plants had absolutely no chance this summer with the RKN, the heat and the lack of rain.  I suppose that should make me feel better in a weird sort of way.  It wasn't my fault. 
The trouble is, I was really looking forward to giving a winter garden a chance.  I'm pretty sure that is unwise.

6 comments:

  1. I went out yesterday to pick tomatoes and and ton of birds fly out of my garden as I approach. All of my tomatoes that were ready to pick we half eaten. Grrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I no mere words can't fix the problem...but...I am so sorry about your garden. I feel your disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. That really stinks. Clemsom has some good garden advise I usually find helpful. You may have seen this already, but.....
    http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/veg_fruit/hgic2216.html

    What a year for your poor garden. :-(

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating, yet such a bummer. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well at least you know what the problems are that have caused such struggles within your garden. You really know how to do your research. Sure doesn't make it any easier of a pill to swallow, though.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bummer! sorry to hear you're having such troubles with your garden. It's nice to know WHY you had problems, but bad news when it's so hard to fix.

    ReplyDelete