Thursday, July 30, 2009

If I Can't See Her...

...then she can't see me.

 You know how little kids will play hide-and-seek and think if they can't see you, then you can't see them.
This rather large grasshopper must still be in kindergarten then.  
I would normally do away with such a large, garden eating critter, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  He was eating on a plant that I didn't care a thing about.  He obviously likes it a great deal, because he's been there for several days.

I did a Google search to see if grasshoppers have a chameleon ability to take on the color of the plants they are on.  It doesn't look like they do, but I found it interesting that this guy was the color of the dead leaves he was munching AND I've never seen one this color in our area before.  

Maybe I've discovered a new species.  Better call National Geographic and get some people out here right away.




4 comments:

  1. I've never seen a grasshopper that color either! Very pretty - and nice pictures of him. Maybe you really did discover a new species! The CeeCee Grasshopper - it has a ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very unique. All the critters must know that if they have some kind of redeeming quality, your place is the place to flock to, where they'll be safe, while you do your research and take lots of cool pictures. Looks like that guy is posing for ya. hehe!

    ~Lisa

    ps. Thanks for your comment about my peaches. Like I said in my post, I was busy blanching the peaches, too.....which is the same thing as 'boiling for 15-30 seconds' so the peelings' just slip off.
    I did that twice, but call me weird....I don't like that proces at all. It takes too long, it uses too much water, the peaches are hot and slippery...and messy, some even end up mushy, and some....their skin doesn't slip off easily and I still have to peel anyway.

    In my experience it was just a hassle...and not as relaxing as just sitting down in front of the TV for a fascinating nature show, with a glass of Fuzzy Navel Smoothie, with my paring knife and a bowl of peaches.

    Oh! And I did one bowl in front of the chickens and just tossed the peelings out to the chickens. That was fun!

    If you know of a less messy, less water-wasteful, more hassle-free way of blanching peaches let me know, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now if that aint the cutiest little yellow grasshopper then I dont know what is......

    My Jacob would have a field day collecting them to feed to his scorpion and lizard LOL

    x

    ReplyDelete