Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Boomerang Comes Back


 I  received an award back in June from In the Shadow of Juniper Hill  and it has come back around to me again.  I'm humbled to think that two bloggers who don't know each other (at least I don't think they do) have given me this award.  

 
This time it was given me by Penny, over at Back to Basic Living.  I've decided, just for fun, to try to come up with 10 more things most folks don't know about me.

1.) I once flew out of Houston on front end of a stage 1 hurricane (in an airplane, silly).  Our flight was delayed by a whole day and when we took off, it was not a good time.  In fact, I was sure we'd all die.  I didn't fly again for 2 years.  I had to go see a psychiatrist before I could even do that.  I read a book all about airplanes and fear of flying and was suddenly fine.  Knowledge is Power!

2.) I spent half a summer photographing a pair of black vulture chicks that my daughter found when they were still in the eggs.  They were so ugly that they were cute.  I was crushed when I discovered both of them dead.  Likely from starvation, based on their bodies.

3.) Part of the reason I went hunting with my dad, was because I had a mad crush on his best friend's grandson.  He was 4 years older than me, but that didn't matter.  I showed my undying love for him by continually being a better shot than he was. I could also gut a goose faster than him.  I never understood why he didn't think too much of me. :)

4.) I cut the back of my thigh open when I was 5.  It required 80+ stitches to close.  I did it by standing on an upended (empty) fish tank.  I wanted to get to something that was just out of reach.  I jumped up---the rest is gory history.  

5.) I broke the rules once and got just what was coming to me---Road a motorcycle, without a helmet, wearing a tube top, shorts and flip flops.  My friend and driver, laid the bike down on a gravel road.  Major road rash was my constant reminder that summer that I shouldn't have even been on the motorcycle.

6.) When I was five, I wanted to be a dolphin (in the summer) or a horse (when the pool was closed) when I grew up.  Neither one worked out for me.  

7.) I love crime dramas.  Don't call me after 9pm most weeknights because of CSI, the Mentalist, Criminal Minds, Numb3rs. 

8.) My favorite book(s) of all time are the Little House on the Prairie series.  I got the entire set for my 11th Christmas.  I've read them all, dozens of times.  Not one of my 3 kiddos was even remotely interested in reading them.  Where did I go wrong!?

9.) There are two movies, that I can come in on in the last half hour and still cry like a baby---Forrest Gump and Cast Away.  Funny, they're both with Tom Hanks.

10.) I wish I'd have seen "Saving Private Ryan" before my dad died.  It would have explained so much to me about what he went through and why he was such a mess my entire life.   I would have been far more forgiving of the him the last 5 years of his life.  World War II was NOT glamourous and honorable like the movies in the 40's and 50's made it out to be.

3 comments:

  1. I love crime dramas too! Only I don't stay up much past 9PM - I'm an early riser and 5AM seems to come earlier and earlier....

    Love the hunting story and your crush on the little boy. You probably caused that kid all sorts of inferiority complexes that he still need counseling for ;-)

    And I know what you mean about war movies - I have similar thoughts abut my father when I watch Viet Nam movies, specifically Deer Slayer. I can only imagine what wars have done to shape the mind and lives of our soldiers.

    Thanks for sharing, CeeCee! You're such a sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here from Back To Basic Living. Nice blog you have here. Love your Masthead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool list of stuff. We love csi and the mentalist too...that's about the only tv we watch.

    ReplyDelete