Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Garden, Muffin Top and Theology

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the title to this post has you scratching your head.
The real title should be "What I've been doing. Why I don't post daily."

In answer to those questions.
I spent the weekend at a class where we discussed the different theologies within the Christian religions. Last fall, I signed on with a group that has classes three weekends a year for three years.
It covers all sorts of theological and religious themes. I did it for several reasons. I am now co-Pastor at my church and thought maybe it was time to expand my general knowledge and be able to say what I believe, and why. Secondly, I thought it might be an opportunity for me to seek a closer communion with God. One of my own basic beliefs is that God gave me a brain. With that reasoning, I don't often pray to God unless it's to lift up a person that might be hurting mentally or physically, or to give thanks. I am really bad at listening when I pray. My prayer life is quick and I'm quite sure that God sometimes thinks I'm too busy to listen to his side of the prayer.
Thirdly, I haven't exercised my brain in 17 years. Once Tom was born, I threw myself into mothering. I became one step lower on my own totem pole. Child, husband, home and church came above me. Let me be clear, no one asked me to place myself in that position. No one ever discouraged me from expanding my world and my place in it. I did it all on my own. These classes are exhilarating for me. I get to use my brain. I remember how much I love learning.

I've also been at work in my garden, as seen in the picture. My garlic was ready to be pulled. I have never planted it before and really had not planned on it in the first place. I just so happened to have a whole bunch of garlic sprout on me and decided to plop it in the ground and see what happened. Garlic bulbs are what happened. It was amazingly simple and will be planted on purpose next year. We ate our first batch of new potatoes last night. Boiled, butter, garlic and italian seasoning. Yum. I spent yesterday planting flowers behind my pool. I do this every year and every year they suffer. I swear I won't do it again. I can't resist an area of wide open dirt, despite our drought conditions.

For those of you who don't know the definition of Muffin Top--- It is a noun. It refers to that bit of squishiness that hangs over the top of your pants. Men use the word, Spare Tire. Women, ironically enough, use a word that describes a food that we shouldn't eat too much of. Either way, spare tire or muffin top, it means you might be overweight. In my case it means I'm overweight AND have high cholesterol. It also happens to mean that I haven't done a lick of real exercise in over a year. According to those that make charts about such things, I am considered overweight. My cholesterol check was a wake up call. Heart disease runs in my family on my father's side. I have this dream that one day my kids will all move out and have happy lives. When they do that, I will get my husband back, all to myself and we will travel. We will go on long walks. We will ride bicycles in Ireland and Italy and France and Maine. We will visit the kids and play with grandchildren. We will canoe on rivers I didn't know existed (but we will not camp beside the rivers). We will climb mountains and hills and pyramids and ancient ruins. I won't be able to do any of those things if I progressively let my love of Spicy Cheezits become greater than my love of living.

So, "What I've been doing. Why I don't post daily"---I've been gardening, studying, exercising, and keeping meticulous accounts of every bite that I eat. It takes time. I'm really not at the computer much. I log in to the site that helps me keep track of food and exercise, respond to email, keep up with my photography, read( but often not comment) all my favorite blogs, and occasionally check FaceBook. As my answering machine says in the spring and summer...."We might be outside right now, please leave a message..."

By the way, Spicy Cheez-Its have 150 calories and 8 grams of fat in just 25 tiny crackers. Sitting on the couch with the whole box while watching 7th Heaven is a good way to get a Muffin Top and raise your cholesterol to worrisome numbers. Just FYI.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever heard the term muffin top. I must not get out much, lol! I have way more than just a muffin top, I'm like the whole muffin.

    Gardening has been keeping me busy too! I had no idea how much work it took. But, I am starting to see sprouts, so I think it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard muffin top explained as that little bit of "fluffiness" that laps over thigh-high pantyhose. Your usage fits though so I feel a bit educated today!

    Glad you are finding stuff to keep you busy, whatever the case!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH dear, is THAT my problem. Although mine might be closer to a popover than a muffin top. Good luck on your plans.

    Your classes sound really good. I didn't realize it was time again already for another one. Was that really last fall you started? Oh my.

    Thanks for the info on those ChezIT crackers... I'll remember to steer clear of them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are busy and don't forget that all that gardening adds up to a heap of exercise. Some of it upper body strength etc. I applaud your effort to better health and even though we will miss a daily post, we will look forward to whenever. Love the pictures also...That garlic looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'll take what I can get. If you can just squeeze us in between your theology studies, gardening and exercising, I'm fine with that. As long as you're happy, I am too :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I hear the muffin top warning. I too have been so so busy outside, taking care of grandchildren and sewing that my blogging has stepped back a bit. I love to read but often don't comment right now because of time. I am catching up on yours and I'm glad I did.

    So here's to all of us working outside and on our waistlines.

    PS--CeeCee I always dreamt that we would be doing the same things when our children grew up but alas, life changes those things sometimes. We spend a good majority of our time co-raising two of our grandchildren because of their mommy's death. But I wouldn't trade it for all those things. Hope your dream comes true.

    ReplyDelete