Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I Wonder If....

...Pearl had a good time in New York City?

"Mom, it was the best time I've ever had in my whole life. No offense, but I wasn't homesick even one time. It was incredible."

I failed to post about her day 4 and 5 in NYC. Maybe she can fill us in later. What I'm just over the moon about, is her answer to my question about whether she had a good time. I am thrilled beyond measure that she wasn't homesick and that it was the time of her life. She's added a circle of experience to her life that will benefit her forever.

I remember the first time I learned about 'circles' in early childhood development class in college. Parents and family are their first circle, and like ripples on a pond, they experience different things and their circles expand and get further from the first circle.

Some parents are saddened by this circle effect. I find it amazing and satisfying. As a mom, I don't get a paycheck or a progress report. At least once a day, I feel like a complete failure as a mom. I'm trying to raise my kids to be respectful, independent, and happy. With three kids, that's seldom possible every minute of the day. Pearl's response to my question made me realize that Lee and I have done a good job. She'll do anything she sets her mind to. There was a time in her life that she wouldn't let me out of her sight. Even Lee wasn't good enough for her.

How far she's come from that little circle! How much further will she go? I can't wait to hear about it when it happens!

3 comments:

  1. I get teary every time I read about some big adventure one of the kids is having! You're a Great Mom, Sis! I'm a hawk about watching mom's and judging because ours fell so far short. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. The circle gets bigger as she spreads her wings and grows into a beautiful flower. My circle is so full and spreads across the nation, her's will too. She's a brillant peach and so happy that I get to be related to such an incredible girl. Even happier to have an aunt that makes me want to be the best mom I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you put this. So glad she had a good time, and you're a darn good mom for being happy for her!

    ReplyDelete