Friday, February 13, 2009

Where Did the Week Go?

Just in case some thought that my last post brought me down, and I didn't blog all week---not true.  That post actually was nice to do.  I'm sorry if it sounded blue.  In fact, it gave me a chance to think about the fun I had with my dad.  Tomorrow is the 18th anniversary of his death.  I spent a few years being angry about his drinking and depression and then I got over it.  Now I just focus on the fact that he loved me like crazy and we shared a love of the outdoors.  Being bi-polar and not being on meds would certainly drive a person to drink. 

Spinach
This week was busy, although I can't really say with what.  I took Tom to the eye doctor and the dentist.  We also met with his high school counselor to talk about colleges and his classes next year.  I had breakfast with my friend, LF and lunch with my other friend, DD.  I told Lee last night, I can't imagine going through life without women friends.  I'm so blessed to have such good ones!

Lettuce
I've been reading like mad to finish a non-fiction book about the origins of the bible.  I'm taking a study course with 12 other people that lasts three years.  We meet three times a year, for a weekend at a time.  This weekend is our very first meeting.  The book is technical and in depth. We aren't being tested or anything, but it will be a very interesting weekend based on the topic. I want to know all I can in order to participate fully.  Honestly, I just haven't read anything so in depth in years.  It's not a book for skimming.

Collards with raindrops!
I've done some garden prep this week.  Our average last frost date falls (depending on the source) between February 28th and March 15th.  My raised beds are sitting in my garage.  I went and bought the supplies to do two more, but haven't made it outside.  I fiddled with the first bed so long to get it level, that I'm dreading getting out there to finish the other two.  They don't need to be perfect, but I want it not to be obvious that they are tilted downward.

Baby brussels sprouts.  Can't wait to eat them!
I went to the CSA farm this week and got to wear my muck boots for the first time.  If you'll look at the picture below, you'll see that we finally got some rain--glorious, glorious rain!  The total ended up being an inch and a half; it rained after I took this picture.  We've had unseasonably warm weather and many plants are being fooled into thinking it's spring.  My redbud is just about pink out, and I fear that we will have a cold snap that will kill the buds.  James has asked that we plant a pear tree.  Turns out you need two pear trees for pollination.  I have wanted a fig tree for years, so I bought one of those too.  What that means is, digging three holes out of limestone and protecting the baby trees from the deer.  That means driving t-posts into limestone.  If you haven't figured it out, I'll have my work cut out for me.  Oh well, fresh fruit is worth it.

Final total, 1.5 inches.  

Lee and I went out for Valentine's Day, last night.  I will be gone all weekend, so we had to do it last night.  We went to my favorite restaurant, Roy's.  Hawaiian fusion is the best way to describe the food.  I had the most amazing scallop sushi as an appetizer, and then an entree with Butterfish and baby bok choy.  Of course, it was plated beautifully and had some heavenly sauce to go with it.  We finished up by sharing a chocolate soufflé with homemade vanilla ice cream.  It was so nice to be someplace quiet and share the time alone with Lee.  We don't do it often enough.  

Happy Valentine's day to everyone.  I hope you get hugs, or kisses, or chocolates, or cards or dinner or a nice tail wag from the ones you love.  Back on Monday.

6 comments:

  1. Roy's is delish! I love the chocolate souffle too, I could eat like 10 of them if I wouldn't worry that my butt would become the size of Texas :) Happy Valentine's Day, glad you enjoyed it! Oh and you'll be making a trip to WI to teach me to garden at some point, just so you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your veggie photos are just so beautiful! You're so lucky to have such an early 'last frost' period. Our last frost/freeze won't be until late May!
    Last year all our fruit trees bloomed like crazy in early May warm temperatures...and then they all froze. None of our apple,apricot, or peach trees bore any fruit.

    One of my friend's down in the valley has a pear tree. Maybe a neighbor has a pear tree, too, but otherwise she must have a self-pollinating species...like our self-pollinating apricot tree.

    I'm glad you've been enjoying such wonderful dates with your girlfriends and hubby, too. Your dinner was making me salivate a little bit! hehe

    Happy Valentines Day to you!
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, so the lettuce and spinach and brussel sprouts - are those growing in your yard are at the CSA? They look gorgeous!!
    And, my thought is...to have wonderful women friends, you have to be a wonderful friend. I have no doubt that you are a great friend, CeeCee. You very much deserve the ones you have. ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a good weekend. Love the pictures of the veggies! You are fortunate to have women friends - every girl needs friends

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I was hoping to come up before you start a garden---maybe to see a tiny Zizzo baby, or maybe a few month old Zizzo baby--your choice. :)

    Lisa, I had no idea your freeze date was so late in the year. Not far from here is the 'peach capital of Texas'--orchard after orchard of peaches. It seems like they'll get one good year and several bad years where they get a late freeze and lose the whole crop.

    Danni, those are my veggies. I should take more CSA pictures, but it's been so dusty out there, that I'm afraid for my camera.

    Linda, it wasn't until I was in my mid-20's that I realized the importance of women in my life. Boyfriends were always more important. I now tell Pearl that boys come and go, but girlfriends can be forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your veggie photos, I wish I could grow brussel sprouts :)I'm glad you finaly got some rain.

    Your study course sounds interesting and in depth but I'm sure very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete