Friday, February 27, 2009

The Plan

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their kind and supportive comments regarding my last post.  I haven't posted all week because I've been busy, and not because I've been stewing.  I've had a very enjoyable week--much to my surprise and delight. (pats self on back).
 
In the southern states, gardening prep has already begun.  We have had unseasonably warm temperatures---our low temp is what our high temp should be.
This causes gardeners to start digging in the dirt.  I am no exception.

I am finished, for now, with my raised beds.  They are planted as follows from top to bottom.

Carrots and beets in the top bed.  In two corners there are strawberries. 
 
In the center are potatoes and english peas.  There are also strawberries in the corners.  

The third bed is waiting, but I was able to finish building it---finally.  My challenge with this bed, is that it falls mostly in the shade.  Our summer sun is hard on plants, but the shady area is equally as hard on most summer vegetables.
  
The trellis' at the top will have 'Heavenly Blue' morning glories. 
 
The green, long leafed things in the top two beds are garlic.  They overwinter and won't be ready for some time.

The three pots that are in the gardening area are all planted with a "wish" plant--rhubarb.  I have been assured they can be grown as an annual.  I put them in pots so I can move them into the shade when our temperatures climb, daily, into the 90's.  For now, they need the sunlight.

The two blue pots on the concrete are just tender perennials that I wanted to be sure made it through the winter.  They will be put back in the ground when all fear of frost is passed.

That, in a nutshell, is the extent of my spring veggie garden.  Tomatoes, pumpkins, sweet potatoes and cucumbers will take the place of the spring vegetables in early summer.  

I have many, many other beds to tend to now.  Perennials need badly to be cut back, as this warm weather has them sending out new leaves on old, out of control, branches. The chicken coop and yard needs tending as well.

If you read this, and are among my favorite blogs, don't think I've abandoned you. I have just not been on the computer at all this week.  I will catch up this weekend to see that you've been doing.  


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great way to spend a week. We only had 1 nice day this week but I got my last raised bed built and ready to plant. It is supposed to rain all weekend. Sigh, I'm dying to get outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. Soon. Very soon. Then I will be able to get out there and make my raised beds, too! I am so very excited about this.

    Yours look fantastic. You have to be so very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your list of beds and plants, and plans. In Kentucky, it is still a little early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veggie patches always excite me and yours looks great:)

    I haven't been on the computer much lately as well, it is very time consuming but fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like youhave really been busy. Good job!!! Wish I was able to be working in the garden - it snowed here again today. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're raised beds look really neat. It will be nice when we can think about gardening.

    Good luck with your lovely garden beds!

    ReplyDelete