Friday, February 6, 2009

The Itch

It's too early to scratch the gardening itch.  Planting young things in the ground right now will doom them to certain death from a freak ice storm that usually presents itself in February.  I will admit to planting potatoes, but they are bundled up nice and warm next to a rock wall that gets sun all day.  They also are blanketed with a layer of hay for extra protection.
It isn't, however, too early to work the soil. I grabbed 4 bags of compost for amending my veggie area.  My main garden area is on a slight slope.  I've jury rigged one edge of it to keep the soil from running off when it rains (like it ever does that around here!).  It's ugly at best.  Since it's basically right off the back porch and folks can see it, I've decided to spruce it up a bit by making decent looking raised beds.
I'm concerned about the boards warping if I just nail them together.  I did some online shopping and found there are fancy corners you can buy for raised beds.  All you do it push them into the ground and slide a 2 x 4, 2 x 6, whatever, into the slots. 
The problem is, they can only be found online and they are expensive when you include shipping.  I knew there had to be another way.

I wandered around a bit in Home Depot.  The garden center didn't have anything like what I might be after.  I knew folks that build houses, need things to hold corners together--Bingo!  I got help right away (our HD is very quiet on weekdays). The gentleman found these corners for me, and they even have a bit of a bottom that can be stuck into the ground.
I tossed around the idea of what sort of wood to buy and was really interested in the new stuff that is part wood, part plastic.  One 2 x 6 x 8, was only 2.98 (Aaacckk, got to thinking about my bill later and it seemed like too much.  I stood there and was yacking away with the clerk and just paid the bill.  The boards were $20 a piece!!  I've already cut them too.  The only saving grace is that they last forever).  I bought two.  They won't warp or decompose or need to be painted.  

Now, I'm off to the garden with a measuring tape to see what the best configuration will be.  I've got to take into account the sprinkler heads and what is already planted.  That's collards, brussels sprouts, potatoes and garlic, if anyone is interested. :)

If you are too far north to be digging, think about planting seeds indoors.  Who cares what a silly old groundhog thinks.  I pray that those of you in the deep freeze will be released soon.  It's been a very tough winter on those in mid/ and far NE states this winter.  

3 comments:

  1. Oooh! Those Home Deopt thingies are cool! I bet they were much cheaper than what the ones, specifically made for raised beds, are online. What are they called??

    I can't wait to see how you do your raised beds and watch as your garden grows.
    I had every intention to start mine this year....and well...plans change, quite drastically, sometimes. :(

    I'd be afraid to plant anything outdoors up here in our mountains (above 7,000 ft) until after May.
    Last year, we had two hail storms and a snow storm at the end of May and early June.
    It really affected our fruit trees and we didn't get any apple, peach or apricots at all.

    Hopefully this year will be different.
    We're getting Springtime temps in the 70's this week, but this weekend is calling for several snow storms into next week.
    Winter's coming back....

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make a few raised beds this weekend. I just bought brackets to hold the boards together. That is a great price on those boards, I haven't been able to find them nearly that cheap around here. I'm heading to Lowes tonight so I'll see what I can find. I'm making a cold frame with a window I got at the Habitat Re-Store to start my brocolli and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some of those plastic composit boards in my yard just waiting for spring.
    You don't mind if I live vicariously through you and your plantings do you?

    ReplyDelete