Friday, January 23, 2009

The Incredible, Edible, Egg



Don't you love surprises?  Early last week, I was sitting in my office when I heard a familiar "I laid an egg, I laid an egg!" squawk coming from the chicken yard.  I ignored it.  

My hens are 4 years old and haven't laid an egg since last July.  The summer had been brutally hot and dry.  That, coupled with their age, and egg laying ceased.  I really expected, that from that point forward, the hens would become purely pets. My sweet father-in-law suggested that the hens would make fine chicken and dumplings.  He's probably right, but they have names for goodness sakes.  They still eat bugs and provide quiet entertainment.  
Lee said I need to wait until they start dying off to get more laying hens.  That could be awhile.  Hens can live to be 10 years old.  I resigned myself to using icky grocery store eggs again.  I use them for baking, but really can't eat them by themselves. They don't taste the same.

So, back to the squawking.  That afternoon, when I went out to let them freerange a bit, I checked their food.  Something caught my eye in the nest box---an egg!  I was almost as excited as I had been when we got our first egg.  Since that squawk, I've gotten 5 eggs.  Not enough to plan meals around, but 'real' eggs, nonetheless.  It doesn't take much to entertain me I guess.  
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Grace In Small Things #2

1. eggs when I didn't expect them
2. Tom saying, "I love you" before I do, when he's leaving.
3. James remembering to look to see if the dishwasher needs to be unloaded
4. daily talks with my friend, DD
5. crazy mark downs on meat at Randall's grocery store

5 comments:

  1. How exciting! No wonder those girls are squawking!! :) I really like that Challenge you're involved in. That's a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet your girls have decided to give you eggs again. It may only be a few, but so wonderfully fresh. I too enjoy our daily talks. It's part of my morning, right along with the coffee:)

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what a lovely egg it is, too.

    Welcome back to fresh farm eggs again, CeeCee.

    You've got enough for a large omelet. Yum!

    Most of my hens are in molt, so out of 15 chickens we're only getting between 2-8 eggs a day.

    Which is fine since I'm not able to get into the kitchen to cook for a while. We just give them as thank you gifts to our church and homeschool friends that bring us homecooked meals. They really get excited, too :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! You really need to find someone selling eggs from their chickens instead of buying the grocery store ones. Those things are so gross I think they have a lot of nerves calling them eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All right! Fresh eggs are waaayyyyy better than the junk from stores.

    I'm enjoying your "Grace in Small Things" sections too.

    ReplyDelete