Monday, January 19, 2009

For Lisa, and other Horse Folks

Lisa, over at Laughing Orca Ranch, is bed bound because of knee surgery.  This is a little horsey fix for her, until she can get out with her own, Baby Doll, again.

This pretty little girl is named Felicity.  She moved in across the street before Thanksgiving, along with her owners and her horse buddy, Prince.  He's a rescue horse, and I don't know his breeding.  
I know Felicity's horse mom, TS, would be horrified to know I was taking pictures of her slightly dirty pony.  I just couldn't resist, because she was so near the fence. TS has told me I can come and go from her pasture as much as I'd like, but Prince is a bit of boss.  Without a fence between us, he'd be in my lap.  I'd never get shots of Felicity.

I am wild about her mane.  She's a Fjord pony and this cool hairdo is normal for the breed.  Fjords are considered one of the oldest breeds of horses on earth.  They bear a striking resemblance to pictures of horses, carved in caves over 30,000 years ago.  They are native to Norway, but are descended from horses in prehistoric Asia.  They are supposed to be a strong and pleasant natured horse.  Felicity fits the pleasant natured part to a T.  The reason she looks a bit dirty, is that she's been sweating in our warm weather.  Fjords have coats that are meant to get them through harsh, northern European winters.
Despite her draft pony structure, she is supposed to have a light and easy gait.  TS will find out this summer.  Felicity is coming 3 in the spring.  TS has already been on her back for just a moment or two, and Felicity couldn't have cared less.  Of course TS has started other training, but actually riding will come once Felicity reaches her 3rd birthday.

TS tells me that the black spots at the knees are not normal.  Turns out when Felicity was just a baby, she was housed next to goats.  She learned that if she knelt on both knees and turned her head just right, she could nab goat feed under the fence.  A circus pony I guess.   My horse, Luke, would do the very same thing, except he'd only get down on one knee.

I can't tell you how tall she is, but Fjords are not supposed to get beyond 14 hands at the withers (top of shoulders).  Each 'hand' is 4 inches, so she won't get over 4'6 tall.

She's a sweetie, but has eyes only for TS.  She only came to the fence because Prince was there to guard her.  She's a little timid with strangers, but that's okay.  I'm sure we'll get to know one another soon.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a cool horse. A horse like that might be able to make me into a horse person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of those before. They are so sweet looking. I especially love the coloring and her mane. Lisa will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat looking little horse! I agree, her mane is great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a pasture of those horses a few miles from here, I was fascinated by them. I always stopped my car just to get a longer look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your new neighbors, CeeCee, equine and human alike.

    Such an unusual and beautiful pony. I love the mane. So pretty.

    Thanks for the friendly nod and cheerful message for me, too.

    Today was tough day. This post made me smile a little :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete