Saturday, November 29, 2008

When Life Gives You Lemons


Then what?

We got 15 lemons off our Meyer Lemon tree this year. The kids have messed with a few--mostly tea and lemonade. They are ginormous and give nearly 3/4 cup of juice apiece.  I've added the egg to show how large they are.   
There's a bit of a problem though---they don't really taste like lemons.  They are acidic and taste slightly of cough syrup or Pledge.  Meyer Lemons are supposed to be a cross between a grocery store type lemon and a mandarin orange.  The skin is even supposed to be edible, they are so sweet.  
My lemons, and the lemons of my friend, Txjuju, have not gotten the memo.  She is in a bit more trouble than me, though.  She got 123 lemons this year!  Off one tree!
She has several ideas for their uses.  I'm thinking of making lemon curd or marmalade.  I'll let you know.

If you happen to be versed in all things citrus, could you tell me why JuJu and my lemons are failing to live up to their potential?  My dear little tree gets one more year to make sweet lemons. It is taking up a large portion of my garden and could well be replaced with sweet corn or sweet potatoes if it doesn't change its ways. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, do odd tasting lemons get bonus points for being GORGEOUS? Those are about the most perfect looking lemons I've ever seen!
    I'm sorry that I don't have any thoughts for you on why they aren't tasting "right" - we don't grow much citrus up here in Oregon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Danni, those lemons are beautiful. I don't know anything about lemons and yes Oregon is a non-citrus place. Wish we could though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought about getting a myer lemon tree but not if the lemons are no good! My bet is it is due to your climate. I think you need freezing temps for things to get to maximum sweetness, but I could be making that up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family in California all have lemon and orange trees...and even avocado trees, too. They think of the lemons as a weed. lol!
    I'm jealous, though. I love lemons and have tons of recipes to make things with them...my favorite lemon bars and lemon meringue pie. ahhhh. yum!

    Your lemons are beautiful and HUGE! But I bet you'd rather eat that lovely egg instead of the sour lemon, eh?
    Sorry I have no idea what's wrong with your lemon tree, though. How old is it? Maybe it's first few batches are not yet mature enough and after a certain number of years, they will be sweet?
    Maybe it's your soil?

    Whatever it is, I hope you can save (and savor) your lemon tree. How lucky you are that you can actually grow them :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to say, I dont have any advice on the lemon tree....too cold here to get to do the citrus thing.

    The lemon curd is a great idea, tho. It makes a great lemon cheesecake. MMMMMMM..

    ReplyDelete