Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I Can't Wait to Share



In the Box This WeekWhat's GrowingThis is a mishmosh of pictures from the website of the 'thing' I couldn't wait to share. I went to a CSA (community supported agriculture) farm today to pick veggies! It's currently known as Johnson's Backyard Garden. It is owned by Brenton and Beth Johnson. They own 20 acres of fertile river (Colorado) bottom land. They have been so successful this year and have such a well oiled machine, that Brenton was able to quit his day job and become a full time farmer!

My friend who often comments here, Txjuju, invited me to come along. She's one of the lucky members of this CSA. They are currently serving over 450 families and have a 500 person waiting list. My chances of winning the lottery are greater than ever being a part of this CSA.
I want badly to post my own pictures, but my personal computer is still on the fritz. The pictures I'd most like to share are of my "pay" as a worker on the farm! While I fear I'll never be able to be a member, I can partake of their bounty by volunteering. Each person who comes out to help gets a free box of goodies. Today I got butternut squash, about a dozen different varieties of peppers--both hot and sweet, 3 kinds of eggplant, kale, bok choy, tatsoi, butterhead lettuce, and watermelon radishes. All for just 4 hours of picking, bagging and boxing!

Thank you so much to JuJu for inviting me! I think I have a new Wednesday activity when they can use me. Thank you also, to the Johnson's for giving me the opportunity to come help out and for sharing the fruits (and veggies) of your labor with me.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, what a great day! And wonderful payment. I can't find any butternut squash anywhere around here and we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love CSA's. The good ones usually do have a waiting list, Im afraid. How cool tho that you can volunteer and and still partake in the fresh produce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a rewarding opportunity to be a volunteer and receive in return such a wonderful bounty of fresh veggies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. Don't you just LOVE CSAs? I wish more people around here would take advantage. Ours only has 25 families, people just aren't as into them as they really should be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that top picture - look at those happy faces! Your enthusiasm is contagious, CeeCee - I'd be out there picking and packing with you, if I could be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We belonged to a small CSA last fall and it was wonderful. We couldn't afford the summer one because it is bigger and has much more produce to offer so it is pretty expensive. But I loved getting the weekly box of goodies and basing our menus around the treasures from the farm. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really great CeeCee. I'm so happy you've got such a wonderful opportunity to be involved in, too.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete