Saturday, October 25, 2008

Slim Biscuit aka Pumpkin Pie

This is Lucky. He is not a happy camper in this picture. He's looking at....


...Slim Biscuit. No, Lucky has not been making kittens. He can't. This is just another orange kitty. A stray, orange kitty.

One of the troubles of living in a rural area is that clueless folks tend to think, "I'll bet this cat could survive on mice and crickets and maybe one of these folks could use another barn cat. What's one more animal?"
NOT!
Slim, as I called him was slinking through the grass, right at the end of my driveway. I kid you not. Why not just put him on my porch in a box? It would save me the trouble of getting out of the truck!
He doesn't look so slim in these pictures because he finally has food in his tummy. His hips, legs and neck are just skin and bones. He is a sweetie pie though. Full of snuggles and his motor purrs loudly when you just look at him. My boys fell head over heels for him. Pearl is devoted to Lucky, and she knows Lucky will punish us all if we ever get another cat. The boys put the full court press on me to convince Lee that this stray kitten should stay with us.

Not gonna happen. First, Lucky would do naughty cat stuff, torture the kitten and then move out. Lucky was here first.
I knew I could never dream of finding this kitten a home unless he'd been looked at by a vet. The only thing he didn't have was Feline Leukemia or Feline AIDS. He did have ear mites, worms a'plenty, and a whole circus of fleas. Great. A hundred plus dollars later, he gets a clean bill of health. Now what?

Well, the "free" kitten gods were with me. When my vet opened the door to leave the room, I saw a vet tech I know very well. "Hey, Gayna!! Know anybody that wants a kitten??!!" You know what, she did!! We kept Slim Biscuit for about 36 hours and now he's moved on. I don't know what she'll decide to call him, but I'm sure he'll be a great cat. Loads of personality and loves people.

My boys were a little disappointed, but Thomas has a fortune tellers view of the matter. "Well, it's not like there won't be other stray kittens in our neighborhood." True, too true.

4 comments:

  1. I love it when stories like that have a happy ending! Thats great that the kitty found a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful kitten. I'm glad he found a home. We once had a dog for 36 hours that cost us over $100. We did the same thing, took it to the vet, got it's shots etc. We knew it would have more chance of finding a home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad slim found a good home. Boy, there have been a lot of rural kitty drive-bys lately. I wonder if it's a sign of the times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a sweet little kitty. I am glad that he is in a happy place now thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete