Thursday, October 2, 2008

Red Sky at Night

sailors delight, red sky at morning, sailors warning.

I've always loved that saying. I love sunsets and sunrises even more.  I learned the saying as a little girl and thought it was the coolest thing to be able to predict the weather by looking at the horizon.
I know by now, the scientific reason why this is a bunch of hooey, but it's fun just the same.  

I took this picture a couple weeks ago, facing west over my neighbor's barn and property. Unfortunately, this view has only become available to us because she lost a 300 year old Live Oak tree just over a year ago.  Straight line winds will do that.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sunset! I think beauty like that makes you smile on the inside as well as the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In England they say "shepherd" instead of "sailor". It's still a gorgeous sunset, though! Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice comments, and thanks for visiting.
    Lily, I it fills me with joy every time, to see a beautiful sunset/sunrise.
    Helga, it happens that the saying originated in the UK and 'shepherd' was the original wording. It has to do with the fact that most of your weather comes in from the west. Here's what I found on the matter:
    " The weather in the UK comes from the west, i.e. the wind is primarily westerly.

    - The sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

    - If there is broken cloud in the morning we may look to the west and see red light reflecting back from the cloud, i.e. 'red sky in the morning'. As the clouds are coming towards us there must be a chance of rain, at least an increased chance compared with the cloudless period we had just enjoyed.

    - Likewise for 'red sky at night'. If we see red clouds in the evening they will be in the east and have already passed us by, giving a good chance of clear skies and fine weather ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautifully dramatic sky CeeCee. You captured it perfectly :)
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely picture. I'm a big fan of sunsets also. They're just satisfying to the soul somehow. Awesome beauty, not man made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sky...I too love sunsets and sunrises. They can look so strikingly different each day.

    ReplyDelete