Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Physics

Lisa, over at Laughing Orca Ranch, has commented on the trees in my pictures more than once. I decided to do a little photo essay regarding some of my favorite trees. 
We chose our property based on many criteria, one of them being the number of Live Oak trees.  My FIL counted 60 on our little 4 acres.  We have a few other kinds of trees, but the Live Oaks rule the land.  
There are many, many things to know about most any kind of plant or animal, so I won't go into specifics. Here's a link to a quick run down of the major points regarding Live Oaks. Just know that they can get enormous, are drought resistant, slow growing and can grow in ways I've never seen in other trees.  

Here's the first example in my neighbor's back yard.  Two branches grew together. What I suspect is that they rubbed together during a windy spring and then were able to heal and form bark over one another during our quiet summers.
Here's a tree that fell over and rooted at the other end.  This one straddles the property line.  We both love the tree so much, that we just mow/weed eat around it. 
This one is where the physics come in.  There are so many trees that seem to defy gravity and other forces of nature.  I can't imagine the weight of the tree, leaning so far to the left and yet it remains standing.  
Another one has fallen over and rooted at the other end.  It is practically dead at its original growth spot (on the left end) 
I call this tree, The Dragon.  It's not on my property and hopefully whoever develops the place, will see how unique it is and keep it.  It absolutely defies gravity.  
It grows up out of the ground for about 4 ft and then takes a 90* turn.  It grows parallel to the ground for at least 20 ft and then begins back upward again. How?! Why?!  
This tree and the two below it are what my neighbor calls "Storybook Trees".  The trunks are fat, squished looking, and knarly.  Each has a hole at the base that extends under the roots.  We expect elves and talking badgers must live under them.
We've only seen lizards, snakes and tarantulas go in and out of the holes.  I think elves are magic though.  They can turn themselves into animals can't they?

8 comments:

  1. Oh CeeCee! I so enjoyed this post. I adore trees, espcially interesting trees. And Live Oaks are beautiful and interesting.
    That dragon tree was amazing!

    My favorites are the "Storybook Trees". I love the magic behind them. One of my favorite books as a child sand still now, is called "Fairies". I can imagine a entire civilization centered among those "Storybook Trees".

    Thanks for sharing the live oaks with me. I'm smiling very happily now :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tress are quite amazing. They each seem to have their own story. Do the kids think they are good for climbing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some amazing trees! The live oaks are one of the few things I miss about Texas. Those are trees that have lots of personality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps....You've been Ghosted!!
    Visit my blog to find out what happens next! :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is incredible! I love your trees! There are some super looking ones, and all so unique. We've got lots of trees, but not quite so unusual. there does seem to be a penchant for trio trees in our woods, with one big stump and 3 trees growing upward from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those trees are amazing. I love how they have grown with such personality. I think my favorite is the first one. It somehow looks so romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know if this is true but I've heard tell that Native Americans would bend young saplings over to the ground and secure them as a directional indicator to someone coming behind them later. The trees often stayed that way as they grew, thus the dipping swoops running parallel to the ground. Guess at this point that would only apply to trees over a hundred years old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. JuJu, what a great story. I like the idea a lot. I suspect there are many trees in my area that are over 100 years old.

    ReplyDelete