Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Sister's Dog

This dog is Lola. Lola Little. Tiny. She has other nicknames, but those are the ones I know her by. I know she is the poster dog for wonderful Pit Bulls.  She never picked a fight and never met a stranger.  Today will be her last day in extreme pain.  After much soul searching, my sister is doing the bravest thing any of us can do, she's letting go.  Lola will cross Rainbow Bridge today. She'll finally be able to run again, bark as loud and as often as she likes, eat donuts for breakfast, swim as long as she wants in the ocean and play in the mud without fear of being put in the bathtub to be able to come back on the bed.  She'll be forever warm, that short coat was never warm enough, despite doggy sweatshirts and heavy blankets.

Today, and many days and weeks to come will be hard on my sister.  Some days will have moments of crushing pain and endless tears. Lola has been a constant for the last 10 years when many people and places were not.  She's seen my sister through some dark times and been there for the fun and wonderful times, too.  Lola has always had a never ending supply of tail (whole butt, really) wags and kisses with her giant, pink tongue.  

I wanted to find the perfect quote regarding how dogs affect our lives. How I couldn't live without one for very long.  How perfect a gift they are from God to us.  In the end, I'm going to just leave you with an entire page of quotes.  I couldn't pick just one.

To you my sister--you are doing the right thing.  Lola would thank you if she could.  I wish I could make the pain go away.  I won't be able to.  Just like with your other dogs, it will be the hardest thing you'll deal with for quite some time. I can't really say anything that will make you feel any better.  It's really not appropriate anyway---someone you love is going to be gone.  I will just be here to hold your head and hands and listen when you need to talk.  I'll be there to be quiet when you don't need to talk.  Hugs and much love to you, my sister, on this sad day.

Lola, in heaven, you don't have to share the ice cream with anyone if you don't want to.:)

11 comments:

  1. Im so sorry for your sister. She is very lucky to have you by her side thru all this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a good sister, Cee Cee. The pain of losing your best animal friend and companion is wrenching.
    Good girl, Lola.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so sorry for your sister's loss as well as your own. Lola sounds like she was the perfect companion and best friend a girl could have. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Ceecee, what a wonderful post.
    I have 1 sister already but I could always use another.
    Send love to your sister from me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for your sister. It's such a hard decision to make even when you know you're doing the right thing. I'll be thinking of her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We put a dog to sleep 4 years ago and I still miss him! Give my best wishes to your sister for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You My Dear Sweet Sister,,,and to all of you who are friends of my sister online, Thank You for your kind words...I hope you'll get to meet CeeCee in person one day, she is as fun as she is smart and kind and beautiful..love to you all and may Peace be part of your everyday..nj ...I can never remember my password but my username here has been lolalittel when I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that is such a sad post. Losing a beloved dog is hard. Having to make that decision is even harder. Lola sounds like she was a real sweetheart. I'm sorry for your sister but glad she has a good sister like you to be there for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your sister. Losing a beloved pet is just so difficult and sad.
    You are the best sister and friend anyone could ever have.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Sorry for your sister and her beloved companion friend Lola. You are a wonderful caring sister.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post. It made tears come to my eyes. I love that you feel your sister's pain and she is lucky to have you. Blessing to your sister and to Lola.

    ReplyDelete