Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Just the Two of Us

This handsome gentleman is my husband, Lee.  I took this picture of him in Hawaii last November.  We'd gone there to witness my niece take the leap into wedded bliss.  

In looking at this picture, it reminds me that we still have fun without the children. We have been parents for nearly 17 years of our 20 married years together.  
I'm sure, like any married couple with kids, we begin to wonder if we'll still like each other when they're gone.  And like all married couples, we go through days thinking the answer is no.  We get so tied up in the minutia of each day and our children's lives, that we forget that we loved each other before they were here.
We go through periods in our marriage where we love each other, but don't like each other very much.  That is to be expected.  We also go through glorious periods of time where it seems like all the planets are aligned and we remember that we are more than just parents and breadwinners.  We remember that we love each other. The other day, Lee said the most simple, and yet the most loving thing he's said in a long time---"I can't wait until we can just get in the car and go, just the two of us, wherever we want to. Do you think we have to wait until James goes away to college?" I was blown away!  He still wants to be with me when our kids are gone? I mean, I knew he did, but sometimes hearing it out loud means all the world to me. 

I need to remember the days before children, as much as I love all the days filled with children.  I need to remember that I married an amazing man.  One with principals, good judgement, and the ability to fight fair. One that is crazy handsome, and has a kiss that still melts me after 22 years together.  One that believes that we are blessed beyond measure and is willing to share the bounty of those blessings. One that guides our children with a fair hand and heart--even if they don't think so. One that has been infinitely patient with my skewed upbringing and views on certain points in life.  One that is willing to meet me in the middle, even if it's not someplace he'd ever think he'd be. One that says "I'm sorry" and means it. One that wants to take a car ride, with me, just the two of us.  
When do we leave?

8 comments:

  1. Awww...beautiful post, ceecee. I'm looking forward to those days too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you pass the tissues, please? I LOVE your post. It rings true...Im sure to many other people with children(or even just busy lives) at home, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cee Cee this is beautiful. It is so good to sit back and reflect on what we REALLY have in our lives and you have done such a great job. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a beautiful post. I hope you share it with Lee, too. It touched my heart, and I'm sure it will touch his heart, too.

    Here's to a new and exciting world together after the kids fly free from your parental nest :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, cee cee. You are exceptionally fortunate to have found the man/husband/friend/partner of your dreams - you are equally wise to be aware of it and not take it for granted! Thanks for sharing this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some days that happily ever after seems like just words in a fairy tale, other days you know you are living it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was beautifully said :) Life has stages and enjoying each other when your children have grown and left home is a blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aunt CeeCee This blog is just what I needed... you did come out to our wedding and I'm so glad that you did! I couldn't have imagined it without the two people that I completely admire and adore. It also made me realize that I love my husband completely but sometimes I don't like hiim very much even though he's completely amazing. Marriage is fantastic but it's also very hard sometimes. I love you and I appreciate this blog.

    ReplyDelete