Saturday, October 4, 2008

Collards, They're What's For Dinner


Well, not all that's for dinner, but part of it.  I thinned my collards again this morning.  
I have a question for all you plant people though.  Are these really Georgia collards?  I know what collards look and smell like---these are neither.  They smell very much like turnip greens (which I don't care for).  These are supposed to be smooth with a blue-green tint.  No ruffles around the edges of the leaves either.  
I guess tonight will be the test.  They'll be some bacon and onion involved, along with some chicken broth.  
I'll be mad if I've been mixing up stinky and soapy brews to keep the bugs and caterpillars off, only to have them be turnip greens.  The chickens might get the rest of the crop if they turn out to be turnips.  

2 comments:

  1. If they're turnip greens, just invite me over for dinner and I'll eat 'em.
    With a little bit of hot sauce...
    yum!!

    I just trotted over here to tell you thanks for the wonderfully supportive and kind comments you left for me on my blog, concerning my son's injury.
    It is much appreciated :)

    Take Care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I can see they look like collard greens. But I only have limited experience with them...like eating the ones my mom grew. Who knows...there are probably more than one variety for sure.

    ReplyDelete