Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Another Year Smarter

Here I am, celebrating the opportunity to be another year smarter.  
I had drama about turning 30.  Thankfully, I was at a women's retreat that year and was told by a woman in her 70's--"You're just another year smarter.  Would you be in your 20's again, if you could?  You open your heart and mind to learning and you'll never grow old."  I kinda liked that way of thinking.  Here I am, 13 years later, and grateful for each new birthday.  What will I learn this year?
I had a really fabulous day.  I was awakened by a sweet kiss from James, my youngest.  He'd come downstairs early (before the alarm went off) to tell me happy birthday.  He was then covered by kisses from our dogs.
Lee was next with hugs and kisses, as James and the dogs had awakened him too.
He wanted to know if I wanted my present in the morning or after dinner.  I chose morning.  I had an idea what it was, since I'd asked for it.  Over the summer, I saw Iron Man and was blown away. 
I was surprised by a card and some Dove chocolates from Thomas.  He continually amazes me.  He even wrote in the card!  
Pearl did her best to catch up with me, but finally had to yell 'Happy Birthday, Mom' as she was headed to the bus stop. I was out in our pasture trying to get a decent photo of a crazy buck and his girlfriend.  
I got calls from my wonderful in-laws,  telling me Happy Birthday and asking if they could pick James up after school.  Uh, yea!  Great!
My dear sister, called and sang me Happy Birthday. :)  
Hooray, what a great start to the day!!
I
Later, I was picked up by one of my best friends, DD.  We ran some errands and went to lunch at a most yummy restaurant, Serranos.  I never realized how errands become less of a drag, if you have a friend along.  My usual entourage includes an unhappy child or two. Thanks, DD!

I came home to a delight.  Lee worked from home, and while I was gone, he hit the grocery store.  He baked giant cupcakes for after dinner (aacck, I forgot to add that he'd put a surprise in every cupcake--Jr. Mints!--a treat we've always shared at the movies).  We'd planned on going to dinner this weekend with the extended family.  I expected that any dessert would be consumed then.  He told me it wouldn't be right to have a birthday without cake. He even dusted the tops of the cupcakes with powdered sugar, as he knows I'm not a frosting kind of girl.  
Later, my loving in-laws brought James home. Mom and Dad not only came bearing kisses, hugs and gift card, but a homemade cheesecake!  Holy cats!  They'd just arrived home from a two week stay at their house in Arkansas, and mom found time to make a cheesecake.  The house has been on the market for some time (flat housing market) and they were up doing Fall clean up to the yard.  Anybody want an amazing house on a private lake in NW Arkansas?  I'll shoot you the details.  Anyway, back to the cheesecake.  I wrapped it up tight and put it in the freezer.  We'll all have some on Saturday after dinner.

Lee and I fixed dinner together and the evening wound down.  I finished up, by getting to the end of a book I've been reading.  Here's what the NY Times had to say about it.  It is really one of the best books I've ever read.  It is so stark and crushing. Not a happy book.  Still, you have to read it.  Beware, it's at least a 3-tissue ending.

And so ended a perfect day.  No drama, not one bit.  Well, I sobbed at the end of the book, but that doesn't count.  I am one year older.  One year wiser.  I made mistakes in the last year.  I will make some more in my year to come.  Hopefully, I will be smart enough to own up to them and apologize.  Hopefully, I will remember these tiny sentences. 
No.  I'm Sorry. I Don't Know the Answer to That.  I Was Wrong. I Love You. What Can I Do to Help. Yes. Let Me Think About It. Because I Said So. You Hung the Moon.  I'm Proud of You.  Thank You. 
I know there are many more I missed, but I'll remember them along the way.

12 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Cee Cee!
    It was yesterday, right? It sounds like you had the perfect day for you. I've been craving cheesecake lately - can I come on Saturday, too? The more the merrier, right? ;-) (What? It's rude to invite yourself places? Oh....hmmm..now, what time on Saturday?!)
    We just got IronMan two days ago...SO much fun!! (and Robert Downey, jr...sigh.....) :-)
    I wish you all the best for the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I'm glad you had such a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a great day. The kids and husband are so sweet.

    Now who says its rude to invite yourself places?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 43rd Birthday CeeCee! Na nana boo boo!
    You're finally older than me! hehe

    Those cupckaes look amazing! Did Lee make one for me?
    I'm not a frosting gal either, except if it's whipped cream or real chocolate. Those cupcakes are huge!

    I've not seen Ironman yet. Now, after your raving review, I think I must see it soon.

    The book you mentioned seems absolutely terrifying. I'm very fascinated with stories involving man against mother nature and catastrophic events, but this book seems horrifying.
    I just may have to read it.....with tissues and bottle of wine by my side. :-O

    I'm glad you had such a great day. Here's to many more years of wisdom and joy :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an AMAZING WOMON my sweet sister, I'm so blessed to call you so...I'm glad your day was Great! xo,nj

    ReplyDelete
  6. So HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! And yeah, that's right, you're another year smarter, whoo whoo! Although on my 40th birthday I said I wasn't having any more birthdays, I'd just have anniversaries of my 40th birthday. That's been a lot of anniversaries ago I'm afraid!

    Glad you had such a super day. Love those HUGE cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! I am so glad you had a wonderful day...if I could design a perfect day, it would be similar to your birthday!

    Take care, eat a cupcake for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday. Sounds like a great day! I have to ask for a cake every year because hubby doesn't think cakes are important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday CeeCee, sounds like you had a special day with special people... so much cake yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Cee Cee! That woman was so right and what a great attitude. Birthdays have never bothered me. I don't know why but I feel like it really isn't a big deal aging. Looks like your day was fun. What a sweet family you have. I want to read that book. Now if I could find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, everyone, for the nice comments! I had a great B-day.

    A couple of you made comments regarding the book (The Road) and Iron Man. The Road--read it, unless you're in one of those 'down' places in your life right now. It wouldn't be helpful for your state of mind. Otherwise, it's a stunning book.
    Iron Man---if you're prone to school girl crushes or even if you're not, be prepared to want Robert Downey Jr. to come mow your grass or clean your pool, or muck your stalls--whatever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ceecee, I was building my coop and totally missed your Birthday. So sorry. Shows what happend when I'm away from the computer for a couple minutes.
    Happy Late Birthday! I'm glad it was a good one.
    I'm turning 43 next month so you aren't alone.
    Your picture looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete