Thursday, October 30, 2008

Another Year, Another Pumpkin


Yesterday, I told of the day when our household might be without kids.  A day when I could spend time with just my hubby.  I know that day will come, but I can wait. My oldest son, is a Junior in High School.  It breaks my heart that in about 20 months, we'll be shopping for college dorm room stuff.  My middle, my only girl, will be a Sophomore.  My teeny mumpkin, seen below, will be starting middle school.  He's not so teeny anymore, as you can see.
Thankfully, he still likes to carve pumpkins.  He even got in there this year and scooped out the 'guts', despite the smell.

The scowl accompanying this picture is because he's frustrated.  Pumpkins are not easy to carve.  They're round and wobbly and have silly lines in them.  Lee and I try to remind him of it, but he still wants the eyes to be even and the nose to be a triangle.  I can remember feeling exactly the same way.
I guess he's happy with the outcome.  Lee was able to coax a big smile out of him once we got the candle lit.  We have our pumpkins indoors, because the deer will come right up on the porch like naughty teenagers and steal the pumpkins.  
The only problem with carving pumpkins---I need a pumpkin seed intervention.  I don't care for the outer shell, so I pull them apart.  I also can't stop eating them. My tongue and lips get all bumpy from all the salt.  I don't care, I just rinse them off and head back to the seeds.  Send help.

Thankfully, we have a few more years of pumpkin carving.  Thanks James!
*************************************************************************************

PS...A pumpkin carving tip, I learned about 5 years ago.  Cut the bottom off instead of the top.  The guts are attached to the bottom--makes cleaning them out much easier.  Plus, some pumpkins don't have a 'handle' because of the way they were cut from the vine.  It makes it so much easier to light the candle, too.  





9 comments:

  1. Great tip! We're doing our jacks tonight.

    My youngest is a sophomore. I try not to think about that too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip!!! Never thought of that.....but seeing that "ewwww gross" face on the kids is priceless.....not sure I'm willing to give it up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that is a great tip. I will cut the bottom off this year. You are making such great memories for the kiddos. What a good mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez girl, you look like a teenager in that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time goes so quick and before you know it your babies are all grown and living their own lives. It is good to really enjoy every minute with them. The pumpkins look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, it looks like you guys had a great time despite all the smelly "guts"!
    So...is it the seeds or the salt that you're really after, m'dear? I get teased frequently that I should just lick the salt shaker, such an addict I am! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tip! I always forget that one until it's too late. I will be able to use it tonight when we carve our pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, we had the ewwwww faces at the pumpkin party as well...I love to see those!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww, your little mumpkin is such a cutie!
    CeeCee, in that picture, you look like you could be his big sister. I'm serous! Your kids are lucky to have your awesomely attractive genes. :)

    I wish I would have read this yesterday BEFORE we carved our pumpkins. gah!
    What a brilliant idea to carve off the bottom. Did you discover this yourself? I'm not surprised. YOu are font of helpful tips and interesting bits of information.

    Ahhh well, there is always next year, right?

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete