Sunday, September 21, 2008

One Step Behind

I am an amateur gardener with just one wish; to grow a few of my own fruits and veggies.  Here in Texas, two things work against the fulfillment of that wish---extreme temperature variations and insects.  We also have seasonal issues with wind.  

Here, I've managed to outwit both wind and temperature by weaving a cloth-like tree wrap through the garden fence.  It holds up to any wind and provides shade for my growing green beans.
I just used a stapler to attach it firmly at either end.  

Just when I get one problem managed, I discover another.  If you look closely at the picture, you'll see tiny, white specks on the flower next to the bee.  No, he doesn't have dandruff.  I wish it were that easy.  My garden has a terrible case of Whiteflies.  They are barely bigger than a speck of dust, and fairly harmless as adults.  It's their larvae that are devastating.  They like tomatoes, lettuces, beans, melons, cucumbers and members of the broccoli family.  Great, what am I growing in my fall garden: Green Beans, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Collards, and several types of Lettuce.  
I headed to my Rodale's Vegetable Garden Problem Solver.  It says not to let them get out of hand.  Too late for that.  One day they weren't there, the next day they were everywhere.  Anyway, I hit them with a bit of soapy water last night.  We'll see what come next.  
Wish me luck.  I'd hate to lose a whole growing season to a bunch of microscopic flies!

4 comments:

  1. I love your idea to control the wind from damaging tender plants. I will have to utilize that idea or something similar for our garden next Spring. We start getting the strong winds at the end of October and they don't stop until June!

    Wishing you luck conquering your white fly invasion. Let us know how it goes, k?

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek! Good luck with the flies!

    I'm here via the black box widget. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for the wind control. We can't grow a fall crop here. I have not had the white fly problem here before. I hope the soapy water trick works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried something new for the whiteflies and now I stink! It's an organic recipe (not married to organic, just prefer it if I can). Here's the recipe:
    *2 day old sour milk
    *flour
    *hot water
    You mix it all up and put it in a spray bottle. Coat the leaves well. Stink like parmesan cheese for the rest of the day because even dish soap can't take the smell off your hands!

    Vonda, this is only my second winter trying to grow stuff. I had some moderate success last winter and so now I'm hooked.

    Willow, thanks for visiting! The black box is addictive.

    ReplyDelete