Monday, August 18, 2008

Orcas Island, Washington-Blown Away

August 6th, 2008

In an earlier post, I mentioned what a very long travel day we had getting to Orcas Island.  When we finally reached the home we'd rented, the day just melted away. We met with Elizabeth, who owns all the homes she collectively calls North Shore Cottages.
Elizabeth was so friendly and welcoming.  She walked us over to the house and told us all about herself and her kids.  She mentioned that she hadn't let the dogs come along because they'd head straight for the ocean to look for the resident sea otter; who by the way, was big enough to eat them both.  How many people can say that?
I'll be honest, I was a bit worried about what the house would look like on the inside.  On her website, she has pictures of the outside of the house only.  I once rented a cabin online in the very same way---it was a dump inside.  

I needn't have worried.  It was beautiful.  And maybe like her, I was far more captivated by the outside of the house.  I could do dishes here all day!
With a view like this, who needs TV?
A view off the corner of the deck.  

Pearl and James quickly discovered the hedge of blackberries that lined the back of the property.  I could see there'd be blackberry pie in our future.  I needed to add a few more things to our grocery list.



I can't really begin to tell you how captivated I was by the island.  I felt instantly at home, like I've never felt before.  

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful view in all directions. You're right. The place could have been a dump inside, but with those breathaking views at the ready, you'd have never known. haha!

    I'd rather poke my eye out with a hot poker than do dishes, but looking out that window with dishsoap on my hands, I'd forget all about those dihes. :D

    Did the kids just eat the blackberries, or did you get to use some to make a yummy dessert while you were there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible view! I'm not sure I could ever leave there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a pie out of the blackberries. It should have been wonderful, but the seeds were enormous in the berries. The crust with all the juices was wonderful though.
    Dishes. I can do dishes all day long. I would rather have dental surgery than clean bathrooms, though.

    Christy, I really had a very difficult time leaving. I felt such a connection there and it was beyond beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so beautiful. We aren't all that far away...at least we could drive. I will keep this in mind when we want to go somewhere nice. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete