Wednesday, August 27, 2008

In Case You Ever Get Lost

Texas Longhorn Cattle on Wildlife Refuge, OK Photographic Print by Allen Russell
Well thank goodness there was a study done on this!  According to some scientists, there is a belief that cattle and other herd animals might have the ability to track north and south by magnetics.  They are being compared to those animals that migrate--birds, butterflies and even sea turtles.  
This study, like many others, has me shaking my head.  Number one, what am I supposed to do with this information, except maybe win a round of Trivial Pursuit?
Number two, aren't there more pressing studies to be done?  Cancer, hunger, world peace, number of licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?  Wait, that one's been done.
Number three, did these scientists bother to test which way the wind was blowing? In my experience, herd animals tend to turn their backsides to the prevailing wind. My experience also tells me that, in general, the wind tends to blow out of the north and south.  Seldom do we get a wind out of the east or west.  
Oh well, if I'm ever lost in the middle of a pasture, I'll be sure to seek out cattle to point the way home.

5 comments:

  1. Those horns do kind of look like divining rods...are they able to find water, too? LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you stand at the south end of a steer going north, or is it a north end of a steer going south?

    No matter how you look at it this study is a bunch of crap. More than likley our taxes funded it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who's home...yours or the cattle?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy I am a little directionally challenged. I wonder if I could squeeze one of those things in my car when I go to Seattle for a wedding this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The longhorns are way too "chill" to do any work like divining for water. :)

    Hmm, good question--which end points north? I'm guessing the head points north, but really---who cares. Like you, this sort of study makes me crazy. Luckily, it wasn't our money. It was funded by a university in Germany.

    Uh, yes? :)

    It's funny, I thought about that very same thing when I was driving my youngest to school. I looked down at the compass thingy and thought, "wouldn't it make a funny commercial to have a cow in a car as a car option??"

    ReplyDelete