Sunday, August 31, 2008

I Love 100%...

...germination rate!  This little row of green beans, and another one just like it have given me my first ever 100% rate.  It doesn't take much to impress this gardener. Mostly because I'm just flying by the seat of my pants when it comes to growing food.  As I've said in past posts, growing up in Missouri, it seemed like my dad just threw seeds at our garden and things grew.  I know that's not true, because I hauled yards of compost to our little patch of dirt and I turned soil and I made manure tea with rabbit poo.  Still, it seemed magic.
Growing anything in Central Texas is another game all together.  Soil stinks, rain is fickle, and the heat is oppressive to man, beast and plant.  So, I get excited when it works out.  When stuff comes up and produces food.  Mostly, because I'm just faking it.  I follow the rules, but mother nature laughs at rules.
I found it to be a bit painful to thin my collards yesterday.  It seemed wrong to pull up perfectly good plants.  What if I was pulling up the one that was going to do well, and leaving behind one that would wither and die?  Decisions, decisions.

I made the best of a hard job and fed the collard seedlings that didn't make the cut, to the chickens.  It was a win-win situation.  
I'm still on the lookout for my potatoes to push up plants from their soil.  This week I'll be putting in broccoli and brussels sprouts.  Garlic in October.  Flying by the seat of my gardening pants.

5 comments:

  1. I've had excellent germination with most all of my seeds, so now I plant far less, therefore saving seeds in the process.

    But then again, I don't have chickens to nom on the thinnings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about having to think plants. It feels almost like murder. gah!

    Is it still hot where you are?

    We are freezing next door. We've been cold almost all summer long, actually. Our temps have rarey gotten above 80, and at night it's never above 56 degrees!

    I've given up growing anything. I was holding out for apples, but noone in New Mexico seems to have had any luck with apples after our late frost in May and the hail storms in June.

    Good luck with all your veggies :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I don't know what to do with the extra seeds. I've heard they lose their viability very quickly--certainly within a year.

    Lisa, Yes, it's still wicked hot here. I'm sorry your growing season has been so wishy-washy. We get a late spring hard freeze about 2 out of 5 years. I'm in peach country and it hits them hard all the time.
    I get what you mean about murdering plants.:) I've quit buying poinsettias because of that very thing! They do great through the holidays, start to look awful, but never quite die. I end up feeling guilty when I throw them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just seems to have been a strange year for gardens. With some cooler weather our broccoli which was doing nothing just burst forth and quickly produced some very nice crowns. I always feel like you do when thinning. It just seems like i am taking away veggies that could grow. The logical part of my tiny wee mind knows that they need the space for growth but the greedy part hesitates.

    ReplyDelete