Friday, August 15, 2008

A Bit of This and That


I've been hoping to document some of our vacation to Washington State, but my poor hubby has the pictures on his computer. We got up at 4am on Tuesday to come home. After the better part of a day was spent in air travel to get home, he had to turn around on Tuesday and go back to the airport to head for North Carolina. Work beckoned. He got home last night at midnight and got up at 6am to go to the office. The stinker took his computer with him. Doesn't he know I need those pictures? :) Not like he's been busy or anything.

Above you get a tiny window into Orcas Island, Washington. This was the view off the deck of the house we rented. I will wax poetic about it later, but let's just say that if I ever wanted a summer house when we retire, this would be the place. It was, without a doubt, the most beautiful, enchanting place I've ever been in my life. If you click on the picture, you'll see Pearl and James picking blackberries.

I've been trying to catch up on chores since returning home. Six loads of laundry are mine to tackle. I needed to vacuum up the bodies of carpenter ants in my bedroom. One day I hope to awaken and not find any of the the six-legged soldiers on my bedroom floor. That will mean we've conquered them.

Yesterday I took James to the doctor to have a wart worked on, and to have her listen to his heart. He's having the same cardiac symptoms that his brother did at his age. Heart pain, all over body heatwave, palpitations and then it all goes away in a matter of seconds. When Tom had this, we went to a cardiologist. He wore a monitor for 24 hours. Of course, the symptoms did not present themselves in that 24 hours. He had a sonogram done and the cardiologist gave him the all clear for sports. Our doctor didn't hear anything wrong with James' heart and she spent 20 minutes listening to it. James had to squat, lie down, stand up quickly, roll onto one side, then the other, etc. She declared that she could hear nothing but healthy heart, but wanted to err on the side of caution---we'll be seeing a cardiologist on the 21st. She also explained that sometimes a growing heart does a weird thing where the top part of the heart pumps blood twice into the lower part of the heart, when it should only pump once. The lower portion panics and that's when the pain occurs. The heatwave is from adrenaline (fear and pain), and the palpitations are from the heart expelling the extra amount of blood. What's interesting, is that when we were talking about this last night at the dinner table, Tom said that many of his friends experience the same thing. I'm not worried. Our doctor assured me that really, all is well.

I need to get to work in my garden beds. It's time to pull the tomatoes and the massive amounts of weeds that take up residence when folks go out of town.

I took a laundry break yesterday and went to see a movie with a friend. Mama Mia is a chick flick all the way. I didn't really like Abba in the seventies, but I must have liked them a little bit---I could sing along with most every song in the movie. You know what, it was just fun. I really enjoyed a mindless hour and a half. It's a mid-life empowering movie. Folks in their late 40's and 50's finding out that loving and acting silly is not beyond them. Folks in their 20's finding out that it's necessary and okay to fly the nest. It didn't hurt that the whole movie was set on an island paradise in Greece somewhere. Again, just fun. If you're feeling a little unsettled by aging or your course in life, you should go see it. If you're a man, avoid it like the plague. Dancing, singing, and crying are main components. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yes I wanted to see Mama Mia but hubby won't have any of that business. I guess I will go with my sister.

    ReplyDelete