Friday, July 25, 2008

I've Been Tagged


Because I have an iMac, my computer won't let me post an actual link to the lovely blogger who tagged me.  You'll have to visit Twinville by looking to my sidebar that has "Links I Visit" as the header.  She's listed under Laughing Orca Ranch.  She and I are very much alike except her husband keeps letting her bring home livestock, whereas mine won't. :)  
Just so you know I'm not grammatically ignorant--Yes, I know I started this post with an adverb.  Mrs. Stark in 9th grade English would frown.  Sorry Mrs. Stark.

Six Things You Don't Know About Me:

1. I hate my cheeks.  They are too round, were always too round---extra weight not withstanding.   They were the subject of the "cheek grab" when I was little.  Old ladies that I didn't even know would grab them in the grocery store and say, "Oooo, your cheeks are just soooo cute."  Being trapped in the grocery basket, there was nothing to do but put up with it.

2. I nearly go postal and cry when my husband, Lee, buys new electronic gadgets that I must learn.  He bought a new TV remote when the old one worked just fine. Never mind that it was being held together with a hair band and electrical tape. When we switched from a PC to an iMac, I was thrilled because I have a gigantic moniter and it has cool things to play with like iMovie, iCalendar, etc.  Poor Lee thought he'd gotten off easy.  When I realized that it didn't work in the same way as the PC  and iMac DOESN'T even provide a users manual, theeeennnnn I went postal.  Apple wants you to come into the local store (at the mall, eewww!) and take classes.  NOT! It took me 6 months to fake my way through using the darn thing. Now I love it.  Poor Lee.

3. I have eaten the following weird meats. Rattlesnake, which I killed when I was 13.  Thirteen year olds aren't very smart.  Opossum, raccoon, and squirrel.  Believe it or not, all those meats were served at one meal.  My second cousin lived way back in the sticks (you think?).  I loved visiting his place as a young girl because he had a real live farm with real live farm animals!  He would kill the critters listed above and put them in the freezer.  My kill of the rattlesnake, with the help of the neighbor boy,  prompted that unusual dinner.  Just for the record: We killed TWO rattlesnakes. Rattlesnake does taste like chicken. Those other meats are very gamey and greasy.  

4. Post 3, leads to post 4.  My first kiss was with the neighbor boy listed above.  He lived several acres away from my cousin.  He was very nice and his name was Jeff.  

5. I wish "Saving Private Ryan" had come out before my father died.  It would have explained so much.  He was in the Pacific theater during WWII.  He came back messed up.  WWII was not all love affairs and musicals as the movie industry would have us believe. There was not one thing that was glamourous about it!  He didn't talk at all about the war as I was growing up.  When he came unglued due to alcohol abuse and being BiPolar when I was in my late teens, I found out what had him so messed up---he had to kill a woman.  She had a hand grenade in one hand, the pin in the other.  It was his men or her.  He chose her.  You opened doors for women, you complemented women, you bought women flowers, you took women to the movies, you never hit women and you certainly did NOT shoot them.  " Saving Private Ryan" would have allowed me to forgive some of Dad's mental issues before he died, instead of after.

6. I wanted to be a marine biologist when I was in high school.  I wasn't doing so well in my Sr. year advanced biology class and my teacher told me, "You can forget a biology career. If you can't manage a decent grade in my class, you'll never make it in college or in biology."  I believed him.  I gave up that dream because of one authority figure that was echoing what my mom was telling me--"Why would you want to do marine biology?  Is this because of a boy?  You can't make enough money to support yourself as a marine biologist, what if you get married and then get a divorce."  Yada, yada, yada....
Don't EVER let anyone squash your dreams, ever!  

The end.  I am supposed to tag other blogs, but the ones I read regularly have all been tagged already.  You can visit them by hitting their links on my sidebar.  

2 comments:

  1. Ceecee, this is so interesting and you write so well (and as long as you know something is grammatically incorrect, poetic license gives you the right to use adverbs anywhere you want! lol). What you write about your dad gives me chills. The poor man. What a messed up world we live in when choices like this have to be made.
    I can totally relate to your #6. This happened to me a lot when I was young. My dad had very clear ideas on what girls could and couldn't do and he didn't hesitate to lay those nuggets of joy on me frequently.

    p.s. I think your cheeks are beautiful, but I still giggled at the thought of you feeling trapped in a shopping cart with little old ladies gleefully squeezing them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CeeCee, I love your cheeks! I'm ashamed to say it, but I'd probably be one of those little old ladies trying to squueze your cutie patootie cheeks! hehe

    How interesting that you wanted to be a marine biologist, as Oceanography was my favorite subject. I also considered going into more science related fields. But, I too, was told that wouldn't be my forte. I struggled in math and fundamental sciences. But I truly was fascinated in animal sciences.

    So sad that others told us that we couldn't achieve our dreams....and even sadder, that we believed them :(

    ReplyDelete