Thursday, July 31, 2008

Feeling a Little Blue


This is Pearl's pet rat, Lucy.  I had a scare a month or so ago--thought she'd been killed by our cat.  Thankfully, that wasn't the case.

We are having another crisis with her now.  In the last week or so, she's blown up like a balloon.  We knew there was no way that she'd get fat in that short of time, even though she gets the occasional yummy treat.  

I searched and searched online and everything pointed toward a very common ailment in female rats--mammary tumors.  The only thing is, she doesn't have tumors or lumps.  She's just squishy, like she's filled up with something.  She's all but quit eating and drinking.  She certainly can't get around like she usually does. In my online searching, I came across a "rat help" site where you could leave symptoms and other rat lovers would email you with their ideas.  Thankfully, I got two responses and it seems our dear Lucy might have an infected uterus.  At this point, I don't know if we can save her or not.

We left her at the vet this morning and they're going to get back to us with a diagnosis.  We may have to make the decision that all pet owners dread--euthanasia.  Thank goodness, it's an option we have.  We hate that Lucy's suffering. If we can fix what's making her ill at minimal cost, then we will.  If it's too late, then we'll be ready to make the call.

She's a great pet.  All the rats we've had have been great pets.  They're wicked smart, funny, and very friendly.  Very much like a tiny dog that doesn't bark.  I'm hoping for the best for our little sweetie, Lu.

Update: Lucy had internal bleeding, most likely from a tumor.  We had her put down.  Thanks for your kind thoughts. :(

10 comments:

  1. I am thinking of your family and sending love Lucys way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope you can help Lucy so she doesn't have to suffer. Nibbles sends his love. DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is sad. I am sorry about little Lucy and I hope your hearts recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no :(

    So sorry to you and Pearl....

    God speed over the Rainbow Bridge, little Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like Lucy was lucky to be in your family giving her such love and care.
    I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear about Lucy, CeeCee. My sister had a pet rat that was so sweet and smart - like a tiny dog that doesn't bark is right on. :0(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, CeeCee....poor Lucy. I know how much she meant to you and your family. It's just impossible not to get tremendously attached to these little critters of ours...my heart really goes out to you tonight. Hugs from Oregon. danni

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry that this had to happen. Give Pearl and the rest of the kids hugs and kisses from their cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry you had to put her down. That is so hard to do!

    ReplyDelete