Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Alex, The Answer is "What is 12?"


"Alex, I'll take bird facts for $1000."  The number of hummingbirds that visit Ceecee's feeder every day? Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding! "You are correct and you've won the round!"

I got a new feeder this year because the other one fell and broke.  To be honest, I never read one thing on this new jar.  Didn't need to.  Four parts water to one part sugar---that's all I need to know, right?  
Our month long heat wave was causing my hummingbird food to go south a lot more quickly than I was used to.  I looked out one morning and saw that mold had begun to grow in the jar.  Time to get to it, or I risked killing the hummers.  That moldy stuff will kill them, if you didn't know that already.
While giving it a good scrubbing and bleaching, I found myself actually looking at the red wording on the outside.  There is a way to figure out how many hummingbirds are visiting your feeder.  How cool!! All you do is fill it to any of the lines in the feeder, note the time and amount, and then look at it again 24 hours later.  You then subtract one number from the other and voila', the number of birds fighting over your feeder.   (Don't forget you can blow these pictures up by clicking on them).
I started with 60.

I ended with 72.  

We have three main players at our feeder--Rufous, Black-Chinned, and Ruby Throated.  This time of year, with all the juveniles at the feeder, I can't tell one from the other--male or female.  Too much beak to beak combat, also.  
We have 20 different kinds of hummingbirds alone here in Texas.  I guess that's why Texas is a hotspot for birders.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I've never seen anything like that. Totally awesome! Wonder who sat and figured that out anyway? Totally clever.

    ReplyDelete