Thursday, June 19, 2008

Hey Y'all

The Golden Rule

Hey Y'all is my bit of fussing that goes on from time to time.  The last time I posted in this title was on May 4th.  It was after Eight Belles had to be put down at the Kentucky Derby.  

This post is likely to be a bit longer, because it's a hundred degrees outside.  We are in our 26th consecutive day of 95-100+*.  To summarize---I'm cranky! I'm usually a pretty patient person when it comes to strangers being rude.  I try really hard to believe that most folks are behaving in the way that they are because something significant is going on in their lives.  I've been known to give them stories to make myself feel better.

"That person pulled out in front of me because they are in a hurry to get to the hospital because their wife is having baby."
"Those ladies are blocking the grocery aisle talking because one of their kids got arrested last night."
"That person is driving 5 miles below the speed limit in the left hand lane because they are afraid someone is going to pull out in front of them, and that's how they got in an accident once before."
"That person is in the 10-items-or-less line with a full basket of groceries because they didn't see the sign."

Those aren't working for me right now.  Like I said, it's hot and I'm cranky about it. I really, really, really want to believe that folks want to live by the Golden Rule---Do Unto Other's As You Would Have Then Do Unto You. In other words, treat folks like you want to be treated.  I'm coming to believe that many, many people believe they are the only person on the planet that matters. 
And so, my Hey Y'all for today is as follows:

Please be aware of others on this planet.  Realize that being rude, just for the sake of you, will probably cause you more unhappiness than the momentary smile you might get from controlling me and everyone else around you.  You see, all the things I mentioned above (and hundreds more examples just like them) are about control.  Goodness knows, if you have so little control over your life that you feel a need to control mine, maybe you need a bumper sticker that says so.  That way I won't have to make up a story to let you off the hook.  I can just know you are a stinker and get as far away from you as possible.  I'm running out of stories.

5 comments:

  1. Wow - it's hot there! People here get cranky in the middle of the summer when it has been so hot for so long, I totally understand.

    What makes me feel better sometimes is seriously feeling bad for someone who's life sucks so much that they have to make other people miserable. This is a powerful feeling for me too. Also, karma is a .... That idea helps me rationalize the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Katie, I almost mentioned Karma. Sometimes, when really bad things happen that I have absolutely no control over, but which have control over me---I lean on Karma. It makes things just a tiny bit better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to turn 80. Personal experience shows that when you are 80 and older you are allowed to stand in the middle of the store with your friends, block the lanes with your carts and bodies, and gab for five minutes. When you meet up with your friends in the next lane you are allowed to repeat this activity. The best part is that you get to be oblivious to everyone around you and thoroughly enjoy your visits. I can't wait! See you in Aisle 3!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Good for you for venting. Sorry about your weather. We are only just now warming our bones with high 70s/low 80s...just in time for the start of summer. 26 days of that heat would make me more than a little grouchy, too. But, rudeness is never weather specific, in my experience...you're right it's about control and the belief that one is more important than everyone else. Oh, unless of course, you're 80 and then you can do what you want, whenever you want. I'll be in aisle 3 with Robin. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just don't drive in the left hand lane on your way home from the grocery store when you're 80. ;)

    ReplyDelete