Friday, June 13, 2008

Butternut or Spaghetti


Back in March, I posted that I had a volunteer in my garden.  I have many volunteers thanks to my inability to wait until compost is fully cooked.  I have ID'd all of them except this one.  I'm hoping someone might know.
What I do know---It is a squash of some sort.  It is a winter squash, but which one? Judging by its shape, it is likely butternut or spaghetti.  For awhile, I thought it might be a gooseneck gourd, but the foliage doesn't have the same scent.  
Also, is there something I need to do to make sure the squash stays on the vine? Several have started growing, only to shrivel up and fall off.  I know we have bees, but their numbers are down a great deal this year.

9 comments:

  1. Oh holy smokes...your growing things are so much farther along than mine are....not only are you chicken master, you're green-grower extraordinaire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what it is. Sometimes though seed from a parent plant may have gotten cross pollinated and may not grow into what the parent plant was. My sister used seed from the summer before yellow squash and her new squash were inedible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, way to ruin the squash party, sugarcreekstuff! LOL. Inedible? I'm sure yours will be super tasty, ceecee. (But if it isn't, don't tell us, so sugarcreekstuff doesn't rub my nose in it!)
    :-) :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what, in looking at it, it couldn't be a spaghetti squash because they are the same shape from top to bottom. Hmm, the mystery continues. I just figured if it were a Butternut, that it would start out a yellow color. Only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well ceecee, I hope you took note that I used the words SOMETIMES and MAY, I didn't mean to ruin your squash party. I hope whatever it is is the most delish thing on the planet.

    note to self: farmgirl is on my list. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. List? What list? Your birthday party invitation list? Your favorite-person-in-the-world list? Your I'm-totally-gonna-make-her-one-of-those-really-cool-chicken-scratch-bag bag list? I'm so excited to find out! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The comedic stylings of farmgirl_dk have invaded others comments now too. She's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking it's going to be a tasty hybrid of some kind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh. I cannot see anything except that you have a POOL!!!!

    You lucky dawg! Do you all use it often with those toasty Texas summers of yours?

    ReplyDelete