Thursday, May 22, 2008

Hours and Hours of Fun

For Mother's Day, I asked for a Nestbox web-cam.  I wanted to spy on a bird building a nest and raising its young.  I didn't get one.  Something about a hundred feet of cord stretched across the porch and in through an open window and hooked to my computer didn't sit right with Lee.  I think it was the window having to be slightly open that finally clinched it for him.  For some reason he doesn't think that air conditioned air going out and scorpions, flies and mosquitoes coming in was worth it.  To give him credit, he did search for a wireless version.  No such thing, at least not with infrared light.  It needs the light to be able to "see" in a dark nest box.  Shoot!


If I knew how to post a link, I'd link you to Poor Richard's Almanac. http://ourfriendben.wordpress.com.  That's where my quest for a different Mother's Day present began.  Over there, "Our friend Ben", was talking about the wonderful claymation pair of Wallace and Gromit.  I responded to Ben's post by telling him of my favorite smart guy-bumbling guy duo of Jeeves and Wooster.  I first came across this duo on PBS, back before we could afford cable.  The show is set in the 1930's/40's.  Jeeves, played by Stephen Fry, is the smart guy.  Bertie Wooster is played by none other than Hugh Laurie, recently of "House" fame.  You'd never guess they were the same man!   Wooster is the the bumbling guy.  He is a trust fund baby who has nothing better to do with each day than court silly, rich women, drink far too much, hang out with other trust fund boys and get in far too much trouble.  Jeeves is sent in to keep Wooster out of trouble.  You could call him a man-servant, but in the trust fund world, he's referred to as a Valet (pronounced-VAL-LET). Jeeves is the master of getting Wooster out of the most upside down predicament and yet manages to make Bertie believe that he did most of it himself.  

The whole show just makes me smile.  Below, you see 24 hours of good, clean fun.  I guess I don't need to spy on birds that badly.  In fact, another birdie pair have yet to make a nest in the box.  No bother, I'll be sitting in front of my DVD player shaking my head at Hugh Laurie anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I've never heard of Jeeves until you replied to my Mothers day post about my House episodes gift.
    I'm amazwed, lookng at those pictures, that the 'House" Hugh Laurie is the same guy in Jeeves!
    Woweee!

    I need to get me some of those Jeeves shows to watch!
    How in the world did you ever discover that show?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, cee cee...did you ever get into the Black Adder series? It is awesome!! Hugh Laurie and Rowan Atkinson (of the Mr. Bean series) are in this series and it was hilarious.

    Check out this link and tell me if you can spot our ever-changing friend, Hugh Laurie... http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/blackadder/

    :-)danni

    ReplyDelete