Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Hired Assassin

I spotted this hit-man at work a few days ago.  Don't ask me what kind of assassin bug it is, because with over 3000 species of them on the planet,  it's something I don't know the answer to.  I did, however, spend way too much time trying to find the answer.  Thankfully, the Sears serviceman came to fix the fridge and I had to get off the computer.

This bug is quite formidable.  It would stab me just as quickly as it stabbed the unfortunate spotted cucumber beetle in the picture. 

I don't know why they call them cucumber beetles, because I haven't found anything they won't at least nibble on.  I guess Cucumber is first in line alphabetically of things they'll eat.  They don't like Artichokes, Beets, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, or Celery.  That leaves Corn and Cucumber next in line.  They nibble on Corn, but love Cucumber.  I'm sure scientists used that very educated line of thought when naming the voracious beetle dude.

They devour the leaves of young seedlings and their larvae attack the roots.  I take great joy in squishing them, when I can catch them.  I know, I'm sick that way.  

4 comments:

  1. Wow.

    Blowing up the picture gave me a whole new...and more scary perspective of the Assasin bug! Yikes!
    But I suppose they are a good predator to have around right?
    They don't eat plants?

    Ok...now I'm off to be to have frightening nightmares filled with stabbing brightly colored gargantuan Assasin bugs.....

    Ok, so in some cases using the camera's zoom feature is not a good thing....ack

    ReplyDelete
  2. You take the most amazing photos. Do you just lie there for hours waiting for something to happen or do you use your "spidy senses" and then snap away?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the thumbs up.
    I started taking pics of bugs because they pose so beautifully. They are seldom in a hurry to go anywhere. I discovered the ability by accident last spring. I was taking pictures of wildflowers (who also, are going nowhere). I spotted a whole family of aphids on a pic of Mexican Milkweed--tiny legs and all. I was then hooked on the Macro setting on my camera.
    When I spotted the assassin bug, I was actually looking for ladybugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just knew you had spidey sences.

    I normally don't like telling people what they should do so take this as a polite suggestion. Open up an etsy shop and sell some copies of your photos, they are amazing. Take some of your photos, they can be just the photos or you can type funny little sayings on them, and have them printed into cards. You are just so talented, I know people would buy them. I know I would.

    ReplyDelete