Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Overwhelmed



I'm feeling shattered.  If you've read my first post you know that my mother died on February 23rd, 2008.  She and the man you see in the picture on the left were high school sweethearts. They married, had two children and then divorced.  For several reasons, he was unable to see the two children they had together. They married others and moved on.  My mom had me while she was married to my dad.  Decades passed, as did a few spouses between the two of them They reunited unexpectedly and expressed that they had always loved each other.  The high school sweethearts were remarried on what would have been their 50th wedding anniversary. My brother and sister let bygones be bygones and welcomed their father back into the family with open arms.  It was clear that our mother was with her soulmate.  

She died 18 months after their marriage of Lou Gehrig's disease. 
The following is a prayer request I sent out to my church family just a few moments ago.  We've had a very stormy year with my mom's illness and death.  Now it's just plain storming at our house.  If you are a praying person, please join us in a prayer for a quick release of my step-dad, John.

Hello all,
I'll try to give a Cliff's Notes version of this prayer request--
1. A few days before my mother died, her husband went to the hospital for intestinal bleeding. They located the sources and decided they would heal on their own if he altered his diet.  He came home and my mom died the next day.
2. Two weeks ago, he suffered an abdominal aortic aneurysm while on a fishing trip in Louisiana.  They were able to save him and sent him home last Friday.
3. The day he came home the intestinal bleeding began again and he was life flighted to the hospital here in town. His body is not strong enough for them to do surgery to permanently fix the bleeding.  It would require a colonoscopy and it's also something he has no interest in at 70 years old.
4. He will come home tomorrow under hospice care.  He is completely coherent and thus will be able to say his goodbyes to all those he loves, unlike my mother at the end.

Please pray for a quick ending to this unfortunate saga.  He really misses my mom and has no qualms about joining her.  It's going to be very, very tough on my sister.  She's really just come to know him and love him after 45 years apart and now he's going to die.

We are lucky enough to be able to request the same hospice nurse we had with my mother. She is an angel on earth!

Much love and thanks for your support.

4 comments:

  1. Oh CeeCee, I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and with your step-father. Hugs for you from Oregon. -danni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this story is just tearing me apart. (I'm very emotional). I feel very strongly that things happen for a reason and that God has a plan. Your mom and her soul-mate getting back together was meant to be. I pray that he does not suffer and I know that they will be together again. Mostly I pray that you find the strength to know all is well. It's always the ones left that need the prayers. My thoughts are with you and your family CeeCee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so very sorry that you've had to deal with such huge blows to your family just in the past few weeks. What an emotional roller coaster you have all been on.
    I am praying now that God will decide that it's time for your stepfather and Mother to be reunited forever so that his life is not being dragged on in pain and suffering.

    But mostly I pray for you and your family, that He gives you strength, love and peace to weather through this final storm.

    Gentle Hugs to you in Texas,
    from me in New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been away and just read your post. I'm so sorry and sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete