Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Babies Abound

Well, not really baby babies.  Plant and insect babies, though.  Cool mornings and sunshine automatically cause my errands to be put on hold.  The camera comes out and time rushes on without me.  Click on any of the photos to enlarge them.  

Pomegranate baby.  Pearl's favorite garden edible.  I'm going to have to cover it with netting to keep our new squirrel neighbors from helping themselves.  

Meyer Lemon baby.  Thanks JuJu for proving it can be done in zone 8b!

Monarch Butterfly baby--tomorrow will be it's "birthday"

Brussels Sprout babies. Do you see my favorite garden predator baby?

English Pea baby.  Unfortunately for the subject in this picture, as soon as I was sure I'd gotten the shot, I snatched it off the vine and gobbled it up right there in the garden.

Ladybug baby in it's last instar.  You can see it shedding it's last casing.

Not really a baby, but a harbinger of baby potatoes.  Once the plant sets flowers, it means it's making potatoes underground.  Get the dill and butter ready!

Tomato babies.  I predict a Fourth of July BLT.


4 comments:

  1. I'm so incredibly jealous of your garden! My Brussels sprouts were transplanted to six packs today. They're 2" tall. And see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! I am so impressed with all of your photos and your lovely plants growing there!

    You've got LEMONS? I love, love lemons!
    My Aunt in California has several in her back yard that just fall to the ground and are wasted very year, which is very common for many in CA.
    I have a ton of yummy recipes for lemons. I'm bummed they won't grow here.

    And you've got Pomegranates, too???
    Ok, that's it! I'm moving in with you. Make some room, baby! hehe

    Your photos are just so perfect. You have a real photographic eye. You make insects look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rural Writer TishApril 30, 2008 at 8:41 AM

    I love the tiny little praying mantis in the brussel sprouts picture. You have so many cool things "birthing" around your house. Nice photos!

    Maybe we could all start a commune at your house? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! This year my (very prolific) tree set fruit almost exclusively on one side. Weird. Still plenty of baby lemons. When they mature the tree's going to hang lopsidedly!

    ReplyDelete