Sunday, March 16, 2008

Texas Skies



When I moved to Texas 19 years ago from the midwest, I was told "Everything's bigger in Texas!"  I found that was true about things I didn't want to be bigger.  Down here there's a bug that's called a Palmetto bug---it's a darned cockroach and it's big enough to hitch a wagon to and take to town.  Over 2 inches long and they fly!  They don't bother coming in the house unless my husband is out of town.  I once chased one from room to room with a can of aerosol hairspray because I couldn't find the bug spray.  Thank the good Lord for the big hair of the late 80's or I'd still be chasing the creepy thing.

Three of the 10 largest cities in the U.S. are also located in Texas.  We lived in one for three years and couldn't wait to get away from it.  Too many people, too much crime.

Storms can be bigger too.  Heck, we have hurricanes to go with our tornadoes AND no basements to hide in.  I was horrified to discover that when tornadoes come, you just have to find "a room indoors with no exterior walls or windows".  That would leave us hiding in the powder room with five people, two dogs, a cat and a rat.  A little close, to say the least.  Close and scared.  It's either that or "find a low lying area, preferably a ditch, and lie down".  Yea, that'll happen.

We also have something wonderful that is bigger, or seems so---the sky.  I had heard that it was bigger and thought it was a bunch of hooey, but it is bigger, it really is!  It takes my breath away. It makes me believe in God.  It brings me joy.  
 

2 comments:

  1. "That would leave us hiding in the powder room with five people, two dogs, a cat and a rat. A little close, to say the least. Close and scared. It's either that or "find a low lying area, preferably a ditch, and lie down". Yea, that'll happen."

    (giggle!) You had me laughing so hard! Thank you!

    My skin still crawls thinking about those palmetto bugs we had in South Carolina. They really were HUGE! Thank goodness, they didn't live in multitudes like roaches, though. But they FLY! Ewwwww!

    Ok....now I've done it. I'm creeped out.

    Right there with you on the sky, too. Here in New Mexico (howdy neighbor!) we have gorgeous wide-open drama-filled skies. Living here in the mountains gives me a sense that we are floating among the clouds, too.

    What area of Texas are you in? I fell in love with the Hill Country as we drove through last summer. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in a small town near Austin. We LOVE it here. I agree that you have bigger skies, too. We drive through NM on our way to Telluride, CO during the summer. It's so stark and beautiful in NM! We always tease that the plateaus are alien landing strips. I'm sure there's a very scientific reason for the flat tops, but the alien idea is more fun.
    You came through the Hill Country during a special year---the year that broke the 2 year drought. It was so green and beautiful and cool all summer. A summer for the record books.

    ReplyDelete