Saturday, March 22, 2008

Taller Than Me



Where has the time gone?  She's 13 1/2 years old and taller than me.  I knew it would happen, just not so soon.  She was tiny when she was born, less than 6 lbs.  She was only 19 inches long. Her name, Pearl, came from her daddy's heart---"something small and precious", he said. 

  
She's doing so well in Middle School that it makes me grin.  Middle school can be hard on girls. She professes not to be "one of the popular girls", but doesn't much seem to care.  Hooray! She's a great student and an amazing person.  

She's the artist in the family, and the bug lover, and the flower picker, and the soft heart, and a cat person.  "I love dogs, but I think I'm mostly a cat person." Our cat (who came with the property) has put up with Pearl's learning curve as far as cat love goes.  She was only 5 when we moved in, and Lucky got hugged so tight that I worried his eyes would pop out.  He'd just take it.  Now, he get gentle love on the sofa a night---just the two of them.  She still hugs the stuffing out of him sometimes, but he's still cool about it.

She's in the other room right now playing on the other computer.  She also singing. That's one thing that everyone always comments on---she always so happy.   She has her moments, like all teen girls, but mostly she just sings. She's a wonderful person, a caring person, and I'd love her even if she weren't my own.  She's a gift from God.

2 comments:

  1. This just makes my heart soar and ache all at the same time.

    Because of so many things.

    Because of the beautiful and pure love for your lovely daughter.

    And for the bittersweet moments of watching your baby girl grow up and knowing she will fly from your safe nest one day not far off.

    For the deep abiding love and devotion between a Mother and a Daughter.

    My daughter is only five years old, but I can see myself in you one day in the near future.

    I just pray that God continues blessing me just as He has for you.

    Thank you for sharing a bit about your amazing daughter and the love you have for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a wonderful post. It's amazing and terrifying how quickly they grow up, isn't it? A few years ago, I thought I wanted to have a third child, but then I realized that I didn't want a *new* baby, I just wanted the ones I used to have. My little boys are all grown up now and, while they are incredible and wonderful now, I miss the funny little beings they used to be.
    It's wonderful that you are enjoying your daughter so!

    ReplyDelete