Monday, March 24, 2008

Ripe



Pearl is getting the hang of close-up photography.  We just use a little Canon Powershot, but have fun with it anyway.  

This is the first strawberry of the year.  It could well be the last one, too.  I've never been successful at growing them.  This berry came already attached to the plant, it just ripened here. 
I fight five opponents when growing berries--slugs, snails, pillbugs, squirrels, and mockingbirds.  I suppose a little diatomaceous earth could help with the buggies and a net would help with the animals, but I can never seem to get them to set fruit and really thrive.  

If you have been successful at growing strawberries please pass along a hint or two.  Pearl really, really wants homegrown strawberries.  By the way, she said this berry didn't taste like much at all--"like a grocery store strawberry".  Aackk, we can't have that, can we?

1 comment:

  1. Nice shot Pearl! I've haven't had luck with strawberries here either. I may try again soon.
    Thanks for the visit and for the identification of the mystery bug.
    They do look like a hummingbird from a distance.
    I really enjoyed my visit here also.

    ReplyDelete