Friday, March 28, 2008

A Number of Volunteers



If you look to the right and left of my little tomato plant you'll see some volunteer plants---what they're volunteering for, I have no idea.  What they are is also a mystery.  What I do know is that they belong to the squash family.  I got a little hasty in using some compost that wasn't finished.  I figured what hadn't decomposed yet could be food for the earthworms.  Well, the squash seeds didn't get the memo.  I'm having a little drama about whether to let one stay. After all, it goes without saying that we like all kinds of squash.  It could be spaghetti, acorn, or butternut squash.  I also hate giving up on anything green--especially those green things that volunteer themselves to me.  Last year's crop of basil was entirely volunteer, so were my grape tomatoes.  I once made a homemade pumpkin pie out of a volunteer pumpkin plant that grew in my compost pile.  Who else can say they took a pumpkin pie to a 4th of July celebration?

The biggest question is, do I have room for them?  Not really.  They are pretty close to a fence, maybe I could train them to hang out there.  Maybe I could make them into little bonzai versions of squash vines---a little trim here, a little trim there.  They probably aren't even a variety that does well in central Texas---heck, they came from the grocery store.  Goodness, it hadn't even occurred to me that they might be hybrids and thus unable to produce fruit???

What's your vote?  I have a good track record with volunteers, I'm nice to them even though they aren't technically on the payroll.  Do they stay or shall I send them on their way to the chicken coop for consumption?

2 comments:

  1. This is tough because of the unruley behavior of this type of vegetation. However, I'm inclined to say keep one ot the little buggars if for no other reason than to keep life interesting! So if things go horribly wrong you can blame me and I'll send you an I'm sorry card or something!
    Can't wait to see pictures.
    PS I still have a pond full of ice so I am so jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say keep at least one. It will make life interesting and full of surprises.
    And isn't that a good thing?

    ReplyDelete