Friday, March 14, 2008

Big and Little


We live in a town that is rather rural.  That, of course, is changing with the times.  Large neighborhoods are popping up everywhere.  We do not live in one of them.  We live on four acres with houses spread out everywhere around us.  My children had no friends nearby for years.  My daughter, Pearl, got lucky and a girl her age moved in just a few acres away.  They hit it off and are best friends.  My boys are not so lucky.  They have grown up having to go on "play dates".   My parents never had to drive me anywhere to see anyone when I was growing.  I just went outside and played with whoever was outside too.  I drive my kids to see all their friends. Rural living can have it's downside.  Not having friends nearby is one of them.


My youngest son, James, is nine.  I hate that he's growing up so quickly.  He's such a love bug and a great kid to boot.  He was a wonderful baby, but I'll admit that the fact that he can feed and bathe himself has it's attraction.  As you can tell, I have mixed feelings about the fact that my 'baby' is growing up.  Some days he acts 15, some days he acts 5.  Some days he is every age he can be.  That's the cool thing about being nine I guess.  Yesterday I captured him being 5 and 15 all at one time.   His best friend lives a car ride away.  This week is spring break, but he hasn't seen his buddy all week.  Finally, yesterday they were able to catch up by talking for 45 minutes on the phone.  I always considered talking on the phone as a teen thing.  I always considered hanging upside down on the swingset a childlike thing.  James is able to seamlessly blend the two.
 

Today he can just be nine.  I am getting in my car, picking up his buddy, and driving them both 15 miles to see Horton Hears a Who.  Maybe I'll be nine, too.  

PS...It was a great  movie.  Certainly worth an hour and a half of my time.  The Junior Mints were mighty fine, too.  Popcorn was so-so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment